Should I get more ducks or not?

Lately I've been interested in getting some more ducks for showing, using for breeding projects and to just have around to watch. Some breeds I'm thinking about getting are blue/black Swedish, welsh harlequin, Cayuga, Australian Call, and Saxony. But I'll have to make some more duck enclosures for them. What do you think about these breeds?
We did not had the choice of what kind of ducks we got, we saved six ~1 month old ducklings from the local farm-store and they turned out to be white-fawned Indian-Runners. They are funny, very active birds and take very good care of the area which we allow them to roam free. We plan to buy more ducks from Meyer-Hatchery in late Winter, so that the ducklings can go outside when they're 2-3 months old and, yes i agree the decision isn't easy. I have compiled the information about the different breeds from the hatcheries into this spreadsheet to make the decision easier for us. We want good layers and calm, friendly duckies. As much as we enjoy the runners, they are still afraid of us, don't want to be touched and panic if there is something new - which sometimes leads to really funny situations… So far it looks like we'll buy Buffs, Cayugas, Golden Layers, and Rouens. Maybe later Silver Appleyards, Welsh Harlequins and Pekins.

We did not had the choice of what kind of ducks we got, we saved six ~1 month old ducklings from the local farm-store and they turned out to be white-fawned Indian-Runners. They are funny, very active birds and take very good care of the area which we allow them to roam free. We plan to buy more ducks from Meyer-Hatchery in late Winter, so that the ducklings can go outside when they're 2-3 months old and, yes i agree the decision isn't easy. I have compiled the information about the different breeds from the hatcheries into this spreadsheet to make the decision easier for us. We want good layers and calm, friendly duckies. As much as we enjoy the runners, they are still afraid of us, don't want to be touched and panic if there is something new - which sometimes leads to really funny situations… So far it looks like we'll buy Buffs, Cayugas, Golden Layers, and Rouens. Maybe later Silver Appleyards, Welsh Harlequins and Pekins.

Love the spreadsheet! Great job!

Back
Top Bottom