Should I get my remaining chicken a friend?

carolinachickie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
South Carolina
I've had my chickens for about a year and a half now and only have one remaining after getting rid of the roosters and one of my two remaining hens was killed by a dog last week (NOT by my dog in my profile picture). Now I only have one silky hen left. Since the incident last week she has become extremely broody and will only come out of the coop a few minutes a day, when before, she was out practically all day with the other hen. I've taken away most of her eggs but I have left her a couple because I feel bad taking all of her eggs from her since she has no friends left or any other chickens to socialize with right now. (I know that may sound crazy lol, but I feel like that's all she has left right now). Anyway my question is, are chickens really that social and do you think she would be happier if I introduce her to another hen and then take away her eggs? Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
I would definitely add in a couple of chickens to socialize with her. She may be moody now because of the loss of other flock mates. I know that when chickens die out of a flock the birds can react and show signs of stress. They are very acute to changes in their environment and will most likely take time to get used to it. I would throw a few pullets in there as soon as you can, and be sure to socialize with her in the meantime.

How about your local feed store? Sometimes people swap out older hens. The store owner may put you in contact with someone in your area who would sell you older hens. I wish you luck!!!!

Murray Mc Murray ( 1-800-456-3280) They have starter pullets .A Friend ordered some and when They came One had layed in the box . I was going to order some but the Grandkids wanted babies. Good Luck .

Back
Top Bottom