Should I get Peafowl???

JordanFamily

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Archie, MO
I realy have been wanting peafowl for a while but only want them if I can eventually allow them to free rainge around our farm... Are we to close to the highway to have Peafowl??? What is your opinions??? Here is a diagram of my farm.... Scale maybe off a little... Our house is 200 yards from the highway... Our farm is all clear land with tree lines shown in diagram... We also have some very tall ceder and spruce trees next to our house for them to purch in.... We own 10 acres and the rest is all farm land... So please let me know if you think it is foolish to get them where we live with the highway being there... Also I did have my Sebastopol geese free ranging but they pooped everywhere and so I had to pen them up and was wondering if it is just as bad with Peafowl? Thanks
wink.png

6221_home1diagramw.jpg

Last edited:
i agree,if you want them,get them!!
i would get chicks,and grow them up,as then,they will not roam very far.
as for the highway,well,here in CA,there are thousands roaming in and around highways/freeways,and they dont venture near them.
poop!!,its going to be all over,but not as bad a geese!!
my yard is very small,but have no problem,only where they roost at night,which is in the same spot all the time.
i just scoop it up once a week.
gary

Be aware you never will be able to predict what peafowl will do. Maybe they will never go to road.. or it turns out to be their favorite hangout. I'm on just one acre with a main road right in front. Some groups of peafowl I let out never went to road, other groups seemingly could not stop jumping the fence to walk in between the road and property fence. Other than the road/highway, your place is perfect for free range peafowl.

Waterfowl are so much worse than anything else at pooping. Peafowl poop much less compared to them, but their poop are um, larger. Definitely not pleasant to step in... If they like to hang out on porch/patio, it will be "noticeable"... other than that it will be mostly scattered around and not super visible.

It sounds like you can free range them and they will love the tall trees, it is fun watching them fly off their roost in the morning from a tall tree. I free-ranged two peafowl before on 10 acres and I didn't free-range them for long but they barely used the 10 acres. I don't think they explored at least 5 acres, they tended to just spend their time in only a few select places and that was it.
wink.png

Free ranging peafowl can be unpredictable but why not give it a try. It's wonderful to see them roaming about!

Back
Top Bottom