Should I get rid of him?!

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
A little background: I have acquired ducks only by rescues. My first 4 were 2 pekins one drake one duck and 2 rouen mixes one drake one duck from a guy that wasn't taking care of them they all loved each other the drakes still have no problem with each other I assume because they were raised together.

Here they are:
99279_cimg2723.jpg

Now fast forward about 4 months I acquired a trio a pekin duck, a rouen drake and his mate a rouen female from a lady. Sadly his Rouen mate died of a nasty feral cat just about 3 months ago.

Here they all are together no problems peace and harmony happy group!:
99279_026.jpg

Now fast forward right now my Rouen Drake (not the mix) is literally leaving nasty horrible cuts all over my Pekin Drake. My pekin sits by himself most of the days about 10 feet away from the flock
sad.png
!!!!! It is breaking my heart. My Rouen mix drake (that came with the pekin drake) will come sit with him once in awhile and he guards him from the Rouen Drake. I know mating season has started but why do the 2 drakes Rouen Mix and Pekin get a long so well? While my other Rouen is so nasty to my pekin!?!?!

Here is my poor boy who sits by himself.. I have put stuff on all his cuts but its seems to get worse everyday (more peck marks from this rouen) he seems cold and he looks just terrible!
99279_dscn0870.jpg

This was what he looked like about 3 months ago before this all started!:
99279_022.jpg

Here is big boy my rouen mix who protects him and is the boss of all the drakes he nips the rouen if he gets to close but nothing as violent as the Rouen will do to my Pekin:
99279_cimg2739.jpg

And here is my Rouen Drake who is causing all the problems. My question is what do I do about this? Should I just try to get rid of him? I am worried I won't be able too since duck isn't a big thing around here for pets- food yes - pets not really!
99279_019.jpg

Any suggestions would be great. I really don't want to have to get rid of him but at this point I am not sure what to do....

Quote:
Could you maybe pair him with one of the girls and try to rehome him that way> A pair might be easier to find a home for then a single drake.

What's you hen to drake ratio? Also would you consider breaking the flock up into two different flocks?

I had posted on here about 2 weeks ago thinking maybe adding more females would deter the situation. Well I added 4 new rouen females gorgeous girls!
smile.png
so I have 3 drakes to 7 girls. I know that's a lot of drakes, but the 2 drakes that came together are very much fine with each other they never fight but seem to be buds.

The picking on each other between rouen and pekin has not stopped nor got any worse since adding the girls. I could rehome him with the Pekin female he came with since they seem to stick close to each other, but if I can't I really don't want to kill him....

I could break them up but it would be hard since they free range, so I think they would run into each other still. Plus we would have to build another shelter/coop to house them in. Which in the middle of winter I doubt hubby's going to go for! We do have a pen in the barn that I could seperate the Rouen drake with his Pekin duck he came with for now... but they still would free range and i am sure they would just come running up to the rest of the flock from the barn.

What I am wondering is all the violence the Rouen drake is doing is just because of mating season? They were just fine as pie when I got them and it was fall?!

I'd separate them at least for the time being. You said you could put a pair in the barn. Is it possible to curtail the free ranging a bit, like let the pair out for a few hours and then the others out later on? Or maybe slap together an outdoor pen and alternate having them in there and free ranging? Then maybe after mating season you could try it again?
I feel bad for you, I know how upsetting it is to have one of your ducks picked on by another.

Quote:
Thanks, I think that is what I am going to have to do. I am thinking I will take the Rouen Drake and give him his pekin girl and one of the new rouens and put them in the pheasant pen for now.

Our pheasant pen that is the length of our pole shed that if I could get some type of shelter in it and put up in it that is draft free they can stay penned up in there actually! Hmm looks like we have some work to do. Hopefully I can get the whole gang back together.

When do you think it would be safe to try again?!!!!

Quote:
Thanks, I think that is what I am going to have to do. I am thinking I will take the Rouen Drake and give him his pekin girl and one of the new rouens and put them in the pheasant pen for now.

Our pheasant pen that is the length of our pole shed that if I could get some type of shelter in it and put up in it that is draft free they can stay penned up in there actually! Hmm looks like we have some work to do. Hopefully I can get the whole gang back together.

When do you think it would be safe to try again?!!!!

I have this to look forward to, and I don't look forward to it, I have 2 Muscovy drakes and it is constantly going on here as soon as breeding season starts, right now is the best time of the year because the drakes and gander have kinda of called a truce. But in the past my drakes have really gotten into some pretty nasty fights, But my old drake is slowing down so I'm thinking my young one will be able to stay 2 steps ahead of him this year, My gander is okay as long as they don't get close to his girl. It's like a soap opera when it all starts. Sounds like your decision to separate will be the best solution then when breeding season is over try again to let them all be together.

Last edited:
My (uneducated) guess would be that when you are sure mating season has passed you can try to reintroduce them. They will probably have another adjustment period though, and low duck on the totem pole will probably get picked on again. But maybe not. Unfortunately, only way to know is to try it.
I am glad you have a way to separate them, I am sure it is stressful to be picked on so badly.
You are a good duckie parent.

Back
Top Bottom