should I get rid of my new Dutch Bantams?

Nigellas

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I need your advice - I'm feeling very conflicted... I recently got 3 Dutch Bantam hens - Being new at the chicken "thing", I didn't really know a whole lot about the breed before I bought them - I was just so excited to get my girls. The things is though - I really need chickens for eggs. That was the whole point of me getting into this.
I've only had them a week, and I am already attached to them... But... I'm disappointed (with myself) that I bought chickens that really don't fit the egg-laying bill. I mean, in the week I've had them I have gotten one egg that was about 1/2 the size of a size small store egg. Not one per hen - ONE.

So here's my question (and i know this is ultimately something that only I can decide, but I want to bounce my thoughts off of all of you...): Should I get rid of the 3 banties and get 2 or 3 full sized hens? Or should I keep the three tiny girls (and they are really small banties, by the way - one is about the size of a dove) and add one large girl (then I worry about them getting picked on or smooshed). Or do I suck it up and live with my bad decision?
If it helps you answer, I don't have a lot of space to play with - the run is 8x4 (could be expanded to 12x4 in a pinch) and the coop is 4x4 - so i can't really add a ton more birds. Adding a second coop is also not an option.

Thanks for your help with this. Y'all don't need to flame me and tell me how irresponsible I was not researching before I bought - I already feel that way 100% - I'm really feeling terrible for it already.
sad.png

(edited because I can't spell...)

Last edited:
i for one love bantams....i could never get rid of them....but its really your choice...you could get 15 bucks at the least for one of those hens at the sale....bantams are sweet birds.....

I personally would keep the banties (they are kinda like pets now) I don't like banties and don't have any but you sound attached. Then I would get 2 sexlink hens that lay up a storm and you should have plenty of eggs
big_smile.png
just be careful with introductions.

Henry

As of now I have 3 twelve week old standards housed with 2 eleven week old bantams and they're all doing fine together. Maybe you could get a standard pullet who is younger than the bantams to add to the mix - ?
hu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say for sure how they might do with a new hen. We have two that were raised with 24 big sisters (SL Wayondottes) and a couple of roos. Everybody gets along fine. They have learned to stay out of the way of danger from the big birds and roosters. Sure, they lay eggs slightly smaller than a golf ball, but they are the first to come see what you have for them when the treats come out and they give us an egg each, every day. So, maybe when all three of yours get going you'll have enough for at least one breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom