Should I get some banties? Sebright and Cochin opinions please

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
I have the opportunity to purchase some bantams. Right now I have 1 bantam and 4 standards. I have a silkie we does okay with the standards but I'm thinking that she may like some others of her own size. All of the hens are about 7 months old. They have been laying for about a month though I'm not sure the silkie is.

So, I'm thinking of getting bantam Buff Cochins and Golden Laced Sebrights. Just 2-3. I've read that Cochins are great personality wise. I'm worried because I've read that Sebright hens sometimes crow. I'm in the suburbs so anything too loud would not be appreciated.

Any opinions on either breed?

Ive only had my cochins for 6 weeks but they are so friendly. My DD has D'Anvers and they are flighty and kinda mean and one of the hens has crowed. I just ordered some buffs.

I've heard sebrights can be flighty, but they are so pretty. Another BYC member has a sebright rooster that's a real character/pain in the butt. Cochins are usually sweet. We had an awesome white cochin rooster when I was a kid. He was our friendliest chicken.

I have a Silver Laced Sebright that is my favorite chicken. She comes to meet me, talks to me, sits in my lap, calls me from afar
love.gif
I just love her to death....but to my knowledge has never layed an egg. She will be a year old in April. I also have a cochin. She is also very friendly, will sit on me and let me pet her. She is a good layer...but has been broody and just hatched her 1st and only chick. They both have positive factors. I would go with the Sebright though if you don't care about the eggs.

I believe I'm the member mentioned with the "real character/pain in the butt" - in my very varied flock, I have TWO Silver Sebright roosters, a Silver Sebright pullet (who has just one broody), and a Golden Sebright pullet. The girls are so pretty! The boys are handsome but little "characters" indeed.

I have some Cochins, too; both LF and bantam. They're adorable. Even the boys are less trouble than the Sebright boys. However, ALL cockerels go through that horrible, "teenage" high testosterone hike during which they are nearly insatiable, bothering every single moving hen and pullet.

Because you will most likely have to get your bantams straight run, not sexed, I would suggest you start with Cochins.

Your mileage may vary.

If you live in a cold climate then you wouldn't want seabrights because they cant really stand the cold. I couldn't get seabrights because of that
sad.png
I have a beautiful black cochin and she's really nice :) I love her!

If you don't have a cochin yet you HAVE to get one! They are the absolute sweetest birds (imo, of course). You can get them in silver laced too if you like the look of sebrights. I agree that sebrights tend to be very flighty.

Quote:
You're exactly right! It was you I was thinking of! And they are just gorgeous little birds. That's how kids are, the cutest ones are also the naughtiest!

Thank you thank you for your replies. I am actually able to get 3 week old Sebright pullets. I have purchased from the same person before and had no problems. She also has the Cochins, buff only but also females. She does guarantee that they are girls and will exchange if, down the line, a boy gets mixed in.
I'm still torn. They are gorgeous little birds. It isn't often that I see unusual birds for sale here. I am in Florida so they would be fine in the weather.
Crappiest part is I need to go in the morning. Which I probably will. And god only knows what I'll end up coming home with.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom