Should I get turkeys

peafowl_Lover

Songster
Aug 22, 2023
Ireland
Hi, I was thinking about hatching turkeys next year but the problem is do they have to stay inside? I heard that they are very weak. Is it just certain breeds? Thanks
Also it is wet a lot here.

Turkeys are pretty hardy, but can be fragile when they're just little fuzzy poults.
I move mine outside when fully feathered, cuz the time of year I normally get them is still pretty chilly.

What breeds lay the most eggs?
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. You can learn a lot about the different heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

I have not seen any conclusive evidence that any variety lays any better than any other variety. They are all seasonal layers and how well each turkey lays depends on the individual hen.

OK can I house them with chickens?
If you live in an area where Blackhead is a problem, housing turkeys with chickens can be a death sentence to the turkeys.

If Blackhead is not a problem, there are other reasons to not house turkeys with chickens. Turkeys imprint very easily. Turkeys imprinted by chickens lose the ability to understand that chickens are not turkeys. Turkeys being much larger than chickens can be hazardous to the health of the chickens when they treat the chickens the same as they would another turkey.

Turkeys need a lot more personal space than chickens do. You cannot keep them in the same tiny area that you can keep chickens in.

Back
Top Bottom