Should I get turkeys

I live on a farm so they will have a ton of space. I don't mind noise as I own peafowl which are very loud. Turkeys are kinda like peafowl no breeds just varieties. So do I care for them the same as chickens? Do they make good pets?

I live on a farm so they will have a ton of space. I don't mind noise as I own peafowl which are very loud. Turkeys are kinda like peafowl no breeds just varieties. So do I care for them the same as chickens? Do they make good pets?
Turkey poults need a high protein turkey or game bird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. The next 6 weeks should be a turkey or game bird grower. After that a good all flock with free choice oyster shell is good for heritage varieties. Broad breasted varieties will live longer on a low protein game bird maintenance feed.

Turkeys prefer to roost high but not next to each other. My adults roost outside in all kinds of weather. Their roosts are in an area that is sheltered from the prevailing wind.

They do require shade. Mine will stand in the shade on sunny days even in sub zero temperatures.

If you live in an area where Blackhead is a problem, housing turkeys with chickens can be a death sentence to the turkeys.

If Blackhead is not a problem, there are other reasons to not house turkeys with chickens. Turkeys imprint very easily. Turkeys imprinted by chickens lose the ability to understand that chickens are not turkeys. Turkeys being much larger than chickens can be hazardous to the health of the chickens when they treat the chickens the same as they would another turkey.

Turkeys need a lot more personal space than chickens do. You cannot keep them in the same tiny area that you can keep chickens in.
X2
My turkeys would get blackhead constantly because they were near chickens.
I had to give them pills.
That’s why I don’t have them anymore even though turkeys are my favorite. Hopefully someday I will have enough space that I can give my chickens separate runs.

Also my turkeys tested positive for mycoplasma despite never showing symptoms. (Nor the chickens ever showing symptoms.)

X2
My turkeys would get blackhead constantly because they were near chickens.
I had to give them pills.
That’s why I don’t have them anymore even though turkeys are my favorite. Hopefully someday I will have enough space that I can give my chickens separate runs.
OP already has peafowl, which are vulnerable to blackhead and mycoplasma.

Back
Top Bottom