Should I give my hens away or not travel?

Feb 15, 2022
I have a 2 week trip planned in august and don’t know what to do about my flock of 6. They are super high maintenance: I live in a neighborhood where all our houses are fairly close and when my girls aren’t free range, they are super noisy. I can’t leave them out all day or they destroy the yard. Also, I’m very diligent about cleaning up their run so I don’t get a swarm of flies and stink up my neighbors yard which is so close.

The problem is, I have nobody to watch them for 2 weeks unless I pay someone- which will cost me! ($20 per day! That’s almost $300) and that’s her coming once a day

Help! I’m struggling with if I should just rehome them….

I agree that's a reasonable price. It's worth paying if you think it's sufficient care for them.

Also you could tell your neighbors about upcoming trip and your plans and apologize in advance for extra noise (and smell...although I think that is less of an issue) so they have a heads up.

Sounds like you love and care for your chickens. I don't think you should have to decide between travel or chickens. You can have both! Most people can manage it.

Last edited:
I’m struggling with if I should just rehome them….
I feel for you. Growing up on the farm somebody had to be home twice a day to feed and water animals and milk the milk cow. We did not take vacations as a family. Only some of us were able to go to weddings or funerals if it involved being away at night. Animals do tie you down.

$20 a day sounds reasonable for what you need done. You may be lucky to have been able to find them. When I got chickens after I retired and we got chickens we were able to find a kid from church, a neighbor's kid, or a friend of a friend when we went to visit our grandkids but it cost us. One lady did take fresh eggs as payment, she could have all the free eggs she wanted.

When my wife, a city girl, started making noises about getting a milk goat I told her she needed to spend every day for a month helping her friend Linda take care of her milk goats. Every day for a month, no exceptions. That way she could learn how to milk a goat and take care of it. I'd build the goat enclosure and set it up so it was easy for her to feed and water it. She would be the one going down there every morning and afternoon to milk the goat. It would not be me. That was the last I heard about a milk goat. She did not understand what a commitment animals can be.

I don't have any great solutions for you if you don't want to spend that money and don't have friends or family close by that will help you out. How would you feel about selling your six and buying some new chickens when you got back? That's not a long term solution but I don't know how often you are going to travel for two weeks at a time. If it were only for a night or two you might be able to set up some food and water that would last, but not for two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom