1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should I have a roost in the brooder box?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chasot, Jul 26, 2008.

1. chasot

chasot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    georgia
    Should I have one?

if so how high?

what shape and size? ( dia. and length per bird)?

thanks, Chas

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'm going to put one in, as I think it gets them used to the roost. I got some teenagers from my sister and they had never been exposed to a roost. They kept trying to sleep in my nest boxes and had thoroughly soiled my nests! I had to pull up my nest box roosts each night just to keep them out. They finally learned to roost after that, but I'm going to start my babies out now and adjust the roost up as they grow.

Different size dowel rods should be appropriate and can be changed out as they go. Most folks on here advocate a flat roost, but my chickens like a round roost for better grasping.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I always put one in the brooder box about 3 to 4 inches off the ground and then move it up as they get older.

I use an old broom handle or branch from a tree but you could use pretty much anything that isn't too narrow.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I just put a little furring strip in there with them and they love it. Started using it at 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by