Should I have water and feed in the coop? Pro's & Con's

I am designing my new coop & run build for this spring. It will be a 6x6 coop with a 12x20 run attached. Should I have the feed and water in the coop or the run. What is the best? I tend to lean towards the coop being just for roosting with no water or feed. What are your thoughts? Thanks
It's better not to have feeds inside the coop When they're full, and the feed just stays there. It is prone to bacteria that your coop might accidentally eat.

I am designing my new coop & run build for this spring. It will be a 6x6 coop with a 12x20 run attached. Should I have the feed and water in the coop or the run. What is the best? I tend to lean towards the coop being just for roosting with no water or feed. What are your thoughts? Thanks
If you let them out early in the morning then you should be fine, but if you let them out a bit later than 7:00 then might be better to have water inside. With the food you can leave it in but it will run out sooner. You could also just feed them in the morning and afternoon.

If you let them out early in the morning then you should be fine, but if you let them out a bit later than 7:00 then might be better to have water inside. With the food you can leave it in but it will run out sooner. You could also just feed them in the morning and afternoon.
I work with the sun as a guide. If it's light out, the coop needs to be open. The chooks are back in the coop before dark, sometimes through mid-dusk, all voluntarily.

Got a lame one I noticed this morning. Small black one. Limping. No broken bones. She is the kind to be in the way... :(

I sort of get a charge out of those that worry about stuff getting kicked in their waterers and making it dirty For one thing, when chickens are outside, they drink out of puddles, including those in their run where they're pooping all the time. If you're bothered by debris in the waterer, empty and refill it.

We have been discussing having food available in the coop or not and this thread has been most helpful for us new chicken peeps! Thanks.

I've done it both ways. I like the feed in the coop because it is protected from the elements and songbirds. I keep a hanging water fountain in the coop as well. I hang it at drinking height, which keeps it relatively straw-free. Inside the coop, the water doesn't freeze as much in our North Augusta South Carolina/Augusta Georgia winters. But if I had ducks, I'd definitely put the water outside because they make such a mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom