Should I help my chickens during the cold snap?

AmeraucanaHank

Blessed be the Name of God
Sep 12, 2021
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hi
Here in Eastern KS it's getting very cold during the night. Around negative temperatures.
My question is: should I put something up for my chickens, like a heat lamp or something?

TIA
-Hank

Heat lamps are discouraged because they cause coop fires every year with loss of chickens and damage to property. If they are ever used, they should be sturdy, free of dust, and double secured. I have used them occasionally for hours at a time, but I hang them wrapped around a 2x4 overhead, just to heat up a room a few degrees. Keep them away from bedding. There are safer heat panels available. Most chickens can tolerate even below zero weather if they are inside a coop without direct drafts. Always provide ventilation, but keep it overhead at the top of the coop where humid air can escape to prevent frostbite. Thawed water is important.

Hi
Here in Eastern KS it's getting very cold during the night. Around negative temperatures.
My question is: should I put something up for my chickens, like a heat lamp or something?

TIA
-Hank
Hey Hank I just noticed your message and I wanted to say that I use (and have been using) a heat mat like the ones for dogs and I just put it under there bedding and it keeps them nice and warm the only thing is is that you have to have an outlet or an extension cord but other than that I recommend get on of them and I will put a link here for the kind that I got

Hey Hank I just noticed your message and I wanted to say that I use (and have been using) a heat mat like the ones for dogs and I just put it under there bedding and it keeps them nice and warm the only thing is is that you have to have an outlet or an extension cord but other than that I recommend get on of them and I will put a link here for the kind that I got
Here is the link

https://www.amazon.com/Toozey-Heati...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Heat lamps are discouraged because they cause coop fires every year with loss of chickens and damage to property. If they are ever used, they should be sturdy, free of dust, and double secured. I have used them occasionally for hours at a time, but I hang them wrapped around a 2x4 overhead, just to heat up a room a few degrees. Keep them away from bedding. There are safer heat panels available. Most chickens can tolerate even below zero weather if they are inside a coop without direct drafts. Always provide ventilation, but keep it overhead at the top of the coop where humid air can escape to prevent frostbite. Thawed water is important.
Thanks for the input!
Snow somehow got in the coop last night but I got most of it out.
Here's some pics of my coop's ventilation:
20221103_152354.jpg
20221103_152352.jpg

My advice may not help with your situation as although we get cold temps, we're not affected by the sudden plunge in temperature that a lot of the US is seeing. So our cold is more of a gradual thing, and the chickens can adjust to it as it happens. We had a low of about 12F yesterday or the day before... I still left all coop windows open, and the run remains all open wire (no winterproofing for me).

Back
Top Bottom