Should I help this chick hatch or it is ok?

Quote:
hey.. congrats on saving some babies!
thumbsup.gif

I hope yall are up....

Why would I not see an air cell in the egg that was rocking and internally pipping yesterday???

DARN IT!!!!!! I opened it up and she freakin drowned! Leg right thru her yolk sac!!!!! OMG i am so mad!! I just watched her move around last night via candling and today it was visually moving! OMG i am so MAD!!!!!!
somad.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif

Why does the yolk sac thing have to work like that?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!! Why does it have to be external!!! Gosh this pisses me off!!!! OMG im seein' RED I'm so mad!!!!!

Last edited:
.... Well...ON TO HAPPIER NEWS.....

I have my 1 rocker left. It hasnt internally pipped yet though!

I candled the others and believe it or not I have THREE healthy moving babies in the eggs that were divided length-wise (dark on top & glows on the bottom half) which usually means early death.. Well, I've been turning them since that discovery the other day and guess what! They aren't "divided" anymore! one of them seems just a tiny bit "stuck" still but all of them have greatly improved and have very mobile babies inside of them! :) So next time you candle one of those, look extra hard and you just might see a live baby! In my case, I am almost positive it was the result of not being turned. Once I did they returned to the way they should be!

The crushed egg that I taped up didnt seem to have any movement when i candled it. I will leave it in there another cpl of days and re-candle to see if there is any change.

The remaining eggs in the incubator do not seem to be viable. So I'm going to read up on the "float test" and do that. I will let you know how that goes!...

Last edited:
thank you very much and the other one I saved was one that also couldnt get thru membrane that was dry
I had found this this egg crushed to the membrane
the membrane was not broken just crushed not sure if mom (my other brooder, a New Jersey Giant ) had stepped on it or what
being new I didnt know what to do but knew I had to try something..

I took it in and slowly peeled the shell off very slowly during the night, until the whole membrane was showing could hear her pepping but not getting thru.. I wasn't sure what to do but my husband and I thought doing nothing wouldn't help and if we did something wrong at least we knew we had tried and would learn from it. At this point there was no more sound.
We knew from the first one they should be wet when born So we put a tiny bit of warm water on membrane and wow she poked right thru. when got her out.. Did not really think she would make it she was breathing so hard and her little heart pounding a mile a minute.
BUT she/he did make it.. She is now with Aunt Bea as we named the foster mom LOL

Both moms are actually foster moms a BO and NJG one has 8 and one has 4 out of 16 eggs 1 was never active and 3 were infertle
was pretty happy with my rooster since this was his first.

My husband says itt must be the warm oatmeal I fed and still feed everyone in morning LOL
I totally agree with yinepu that sometimes we need to lend a helping hand but like her this is my choice. It sure would have been much easier if had found this site first LOL but now I have and won't lose it
Everyday is a learning day I used to have horses and taught 4-H many years and would get asked by parents how do I know who to listen to and I used to always say " I can't tell you who to listen to but can tell you who NOT to listen to and that would be the ones that say their way is the only way" Every horse is different and what teqnique might work for one may not for another.
I guess that is kinda like saving chicks?

Quote:
pretty much.. which is why i said that every egg that hatches and needs assistance is an individual case.. so it's hard to write a "do this don't do that" because it's not a one size fits all situation.. just too many variables

I think Evers has run into every problem she possibly could have..(well.. pretty close anyway).. so she's rapidly becoming an expert on the subject (and has my cell phone number for emergencies that she hasnt dealt with yet)
lau.gif
I have been calling this hatch of her the "Murphy's Law hatch".. cause everything that could go wrong.. has.. but on the bright side... look at how many chicks she has managed to save that would have died if she had just sat back on her hands and did nothing... and look at what she has learned along the way

Quote:
there are a couple of ways .. if you notice at the top of the page is a link that says "upload".. you can click on it and upload them from there if the pics are on your computer

or you can use an image hosting site like I do.. I use photobucket (photobucket.com) which is free.. there are a lot of others though.. the thing i like about using a hosting site is it doesn't take up as much space on the forum's server (at least that's how it was explained to me)..

once your pic is uploaded you just have to link it into the post or you can use the brackets (photobucket gives a link with those already included for message boards)

hope that wasnt too confusing and helped at least a little!

100148_img_2887.jpg

Thank you yinepu! That was perfect! This is a pic of my little guy and his new friends. He has 3 new friends . His buddies are Frizzle crosses. Hubby wanted something full blood but these little guys were the closest to his size that we could find in a pinch. I didn't want anything so big it might hurt him. Thankfully they all have gotten along wonderfully. The new chicks were more concerned with missing Momma than to gang up on him. He seemed very excited when he saw them but I know their crying was probably a little hard to handle. This morning all four were snuggled together.

Back
Top Bottom