should i help yet??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by evonne, Oct 28, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    pipped around 6:30 am this morning.. day 20... it's 11 am now.. but i just realized the one pip is not in the air sac area... it's like in the middle of the egg... should i flake a piece back and make sure he's got a hole through the membrane so he can breathe??

this is my first hatch ....

i know it can take a while.. i have another that piped at the same time that i'm not as worried about because he piped into the airsac.. i think...

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You're waaaaay too early to worry about that. Sit back and let Mother Nature take over.

3. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:even with the strange pipped spot?? just wanted to make sure.. lol.. like i said i wasn't worried about the other one that pipped at the right end.. lol...

the first 2 are our and making a hell of a lot of noise for something as small as they are.. rofl...

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Halo is right....sit back and relax. Mine more often than not pip more on the side of the egg.

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    leave it be. no touchy.

6. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i thought that's what y'all would say.. but wanted to make sure.. at what point should i intervene?? 24 hours?? or give it longer than that?

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You'll get varying opinions on that; I NEVER help. If they cannot hatch on their own, there is a reason.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't ever intervene. Usually there is a reason they can't make it out on their own. The few times I did "help" in the past the chick died anyway....so I just let Mother Nature take care of things anymore.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Amen sister! Too many people are NOT learning that!

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I try to let mother nature takes it's course. It's hard though.

The only thing I did for the last one in the bator last night, was misted it. The bator shot up to 106 and I had to open the bator before he fried. With him already pipping and the humidity getting out, he could have stuck to the shell and died. So, I did mist the egg a few times. He came out fine after about 24-26 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by