Should I help?

wkshaddon

Songster
Aug 15, 2019
Lane County Oregon
Does this ducky look like he needs a little bit of help. It's been this way for hours. And it looks like its starting to get dry around the opening is and not moving around so much
IMG_20210625_015133.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_015102.jpg
    IMG_20210625_015102.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 0
you can carefully apply some coconut oil on the exposed membrane. How long has it been since she pipped? is she making chewing or biting motions? if it’s been less than 48 hours after pippin, I would leave it alone.

you can carefully apply some coconut oil on the exposed membrane. How long has it been since she pipped? is she making chewing or biting motions? if it’s been less than 48 hours after pippin, I would leave it alone.
Yes she was making a little bit of chewing motion with her beak but not moving. Her beak is poking all the way out and her foot is covering her face. She seems a little cramped up in there. She was chirping here and there but today she wasn't moving much or making noise

Yes she was making a little bit of chewing motion with her beak but not moving. Her beak is poking all the way out and her foot is covering her face. She seems a little cramped up in there. She was chirping here and there but today she wasn't moving much or making noise
I had to go to work so I had no choice but to place her under one of my brooding girls on a nest and hope for the best...cause my roommate won't let me to use the heat lamp.

As long as she's making chewing motions, she's still absorbing the yolk. I would leave it alone. If you assist her now, she risks bleeding to death or hatching prematurely with an exposed yolk. Once she's ready to hatch she'll struggle and make lots of noise. I wouldn't worry about being cramped... they've been in that position for weeks..

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much at this point. these babies take forever after their external pip to zip and it usually gets first time hatching mommas worried. Overly worrying is usually the cause of an overly premature assist and killing of an otherwise perfectly healthy duckling. Unless yours is a call duck, or had some issues during artificial incubation, ducklings usually will mange to make it out on their own just fine.

Back
Top Bottom