Should I help?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jessijoa, Feb 8, 2014.

1. jessijoa

jessijoa New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    My incubator lost power for 2 hours on hatch day< we are 36 hours in and have only 3 chicks. The membranes are white on the pipps and Im afraid they lost too much moisture, the chicks that have hatched are getting anxious and hungry, I am afraid to open the incubator to let them out, what should I do?

2. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    Hi Jess, welcome to BYC! I would suggest to go to the eggs and incubation thread and post there, someone will certainly help out!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I personally would get the hatched ones out at this point. Mist the rest of the eggs with water once or twice today and keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck with your hatch and welcome to BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Has it been 36 hours since the ones pipped, or just 36 hours since the first ones started and hatched? Chicks are OK for about three days without food, but I usually also do as TwoCrows said and get the hatched ones out fast once a day or so, and just make sure the humidity stays up. Can you do anything else to up the humidity, mist, add sponges etc? Not sure if you have seen the BYC article on hatching eggs, especially check out the link for assisted hatching if you decide you need to help https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you do open the incubator spray warm water inside - if the humidity is very low, you might want to put a small, dampened sponge in with the remaining eggs.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Big X2

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by