Should I intervene at this point

bya1305

Chirping
Oct 27, 2018
Fresno, CA
I have a few that were due to hatch this morning and a couple have zipped wide open but remained that way since midday yesterday. Should I help them out at this point? 20181201_094140.jpg 20181201_094400.jpg

If they are in there since yesterday afternoon and still in their eggs this morning, I would for sure help them break out of it! They probably ran out of strength at this point and unable to free themselves. Just be careful, try not to pull the eggshell off of them just crack it to a point where they can easily break free themselves.

BTW, what kind of breed are these chicks?

They are speckled Sussex from a seller on Ebay. Two of them that have hatched have the right coloring but a third one looks to be mostly black so I'm assuming that one was a mislabeled egg..the other two that have been sitting in the eggs will hopefully make it

If you have some coconut oil laying around, use them on the chick and eggs before breaking it apart. People in here says it helps, I've never had to assist before but it's what I hear. Anyway, go help your little chicks, they are probably tired right now and need to break out of their shell for some food and water for energy!

I would help a little. Don't go in there and just rip the shell off.that can be damaging. Gently move it a little, and maybe crack off pieces that aren't close to the chick. Wait a little while and see if it comes out, and if to, help it a little more.

Back
Top Bottom