Should I just kick 'em out of the coop?

They will definitely pull hay out of a bale in the coop.... Ask me how I know....

I'd sure encourage them out. They're just scared. My very young chicks are out and about in 25 degree weather. Have you got some sand you could throw in the run, on the snow? Easier than shoveling....

Well, they don't call 'em "chickens" for nothing. Thanks, everyone, I did as you suggested. I took a broom into the run and swept out a path through the run and out the run gate to their yard. Then I opened the pop door to the coop, went to the coop's door, went in and chased them out of the coop, walked around and closed the pop door, went into the run and forced them out into the yard, and locked the run's gate so they had no place to go but into the yard/snow. It didn't take them long to adapt; in fact, they seemed happy to be out walking around, even in the snow.
I went to the feed store and bought a large bale of hay, orchard grass, and put it in the yard, and spread a few hands full. Then they were afraid of the bale (scream). I had to force them up by it, and finally they began picking at it. I left them out for almost two hours. Their feet must have been cold because they were glad to get back into the coop with the pop door closed.
Thanks again for the good ideas. I'm pretty sure that they'll want to go out for a while tomorrow. You're right, they just had to face their fears. I'm going to get a couple more bales of hay tomorrow, and keep it in the barn. I'll give some of it to the ones that are in the barn coops too.

I think eventually they will tear the hay apart. But I'd be careful with a whole bale, it can get moldy, so I'd keep an eye on it. Just curious though, why aren't you just leaving the pop door open?

We don't usually get a lot of snow here, but my chickens HATE the snow. But for us, it usually melts in a couple of days, so they are only cooped up for a day or 2. (they pop door stays open though) A few brave ones will tolerate the snow long enough to get to the dirt area under the coop that's snow free. Then they'll eat the snow. (wonder if they get brain freezes?
hmm.png
)

Quote:
I wanted to leave the pop door opens, but we had nights in the single digits with strong winds. That was too much for them to have to contend with. Our forecasts are predicting more of the same for at least another week. As for the hay's getting moldy, how would I recognize its being so?

moldy hay looks and smells bad. It appears to get very dusty. It is not dust but mold spores. Sometimes it will chunk together and not come apart into nice flakes. If it looks clean, smells good and is not dusty, it should be good.

Quote:
i usually break some of the hay up and spread it around the bale,and leave the rest together.my chickens like to tear it apart themselves.

Quote:
i usually break some of the hay up and spread it around the bale,and leave the rest together.my chickens like to tear it apart themselves.

Thanks, kyrose, I did that too, but I doubt that I did it as much as you do. I'll spread more tomorrow before I let them out.

Actually I pile it up, and they scatter it out, breaking it down, by spring it will be very nice for mulching my garden and any weed seed will have turned into eggs. When I bring in fresh hay, mine will eat some of it.

I know you have sand in your run, but you might consider putting the hay on top of that, then when it snows just flip it, so that the hay is on top, and your chickens will come right out into the run. Do make sure you have wind protection in your run, you probably do, I am just mentioning it. The hay will absorb a lot of poo, and you can stir it up, and keep your sand clean and fresh for next summer.

If I think it is going to snow, I pile it up, cause it is easier to flip on top of the snow, but otherwise, my hens are happy scratching and spreading it out, gives them exercise.

This time of year, I have to keep them penned up in the run, nearly 24/7 cause the day is so short, dark when I get home, and the predators are so hungry, they are too brave. Stiring up the hay, or taking it out, and putting in new, keeps things cleaner. Chickens are such creatures of habit, last summer, they were out the moment I opened the gate, and a bit put out if they were not let out. Last Saturday, I was cleaning, and left the gate open, and nearly had to chase them out into the big outdoors, they were so used to being confined!
roll.png

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom