Should I just kick 'em out of the coop?

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
I have eight chickens that were supposed to be in TWO 4x8 coops; however, they all crowded into ONE when it snowed and got in single digit freezing conditions. I keep opening the pop door during the day, but end up closing it again because they won't come out into the run. They're afraid of the snow I think, but I'd like to see them getting some exercise.
If you were I, would you open the pop door, go into the coop, and force them to go out into the run, then kick them out of the run and into the open, fenced yard? The snow is only two-three inches deep. Right now the sun is shining brightly, and the temperature is 17* F.

ETA There's no improvement in the weather forecast, just more snow and freezing weather for at least another week.

Last edited:
Gosh no, that's thermoneuclear waste there on the ground, that white stuff you know! They might DIE!
old.gif

Mine won't leave the coop either in the snow. Just wait for the snow to melt and then see if you can get them split into the two coops.

Personally, I would open the door and let them do what they want. It won't be snowing forever (hopefully) and they'll come out if they want to. Of course, I don't have much experience but that's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Quote:
I would do that, but the run is sand, and I don't want hay mixed in it.
ETA I could put the hay in the yard though. Then they'd have it there. Hmmmmmmmm...

Last edited:
Happy Chooks and anyone else, do any of you have experience with putting hay in your yard for chickens during the winter. Will they dig through a few inches of snow to get to it if they it's there. What about putting an intact bale or two on the ground; will they pull the hay out of the bale?

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem here LOL but thankfully mine come out. I would try shoveling a path to their coop and a little bit out of there run. It may only be 3 inches of snow but I know my bantams hate it. They use the paths to get to were they wanna go. Also if you put a haybale out they will knock some out of it, but mine prefer to sit ontop of it to get off the cold ground.

Yes, I would kick them out. As a matter of fact I make it a habit to kick out any chickens who stay in in anything but absolutely horrid, subzero, blowing, blizzard conditions. Most, once they've been kicked out once or twice catch on very quickly that they will not die out there and take to it like ducks to water. There are a select few who just don't like it and would rather hole up in the coop and die than go outside. We have a three strikes you're out policy and those individuals who strike three times make very tasty chicken noodle soup to warm me up after having done chores for those that DID get their butts out of the coop.

I know it seems crazy to shovel for your birds...but, it would help! I think if you take a broom out there, and just clear the ground enough so they can see a little dirt, it would help. My guess is that if you offer a little bribery it would help. A few handfuls of BOSS, or their favorite treat would do wonders! This is why I built my sun room in the dark of night, last December. My original flock (RIR's) would not step foot in the snow! This winter, my new birds, BO's, BA's and EE's don't seem bothered at all by the snow. Go figure!

We haven't had that much snow in central PA, maybe and inch or two (mostly blows away). We've had freezing rain and it's been all kinds of windy. Most of my hatchery birds couldn't care less. I have to breeder Welsummers that like to stay inside though. I actually though one was broody b/c every time I look in she's in the nest box. At night, she gets up on the roost with the others though. It was kind of comical during the freezing rain the other day. The run was a bit like a hockey rink. When I came out the back door, they did the normal sprint to the gate. Well, sort of. Some of them had some trouble on the ice. Once EE came running out, slipped and knock a couple of the others over like bowling pins.

Back
Top Bottom