SHOULD I JUST KILL IT??

Southern Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
NorthWest Florida
I bought this Silkie roo off a lady, it has this eye thing. I have been putting medicine in it's eye and then it all puffed up? Should I just kill it. I have 44 other birds and I don't want it to get anyone sick. He's eating and drinking, just can't see out of one side. Should I just kill it?

Photo_031407_002.jpg

Photo_031407_001.jpg

it could be a fungal infection, in which case putting antibiotics on it is fruitless. i had a silkie whose eyes both closed shut. after i put some monostat 7, or one could also use athlete's foot medicine, it cleared right up. her eye's had this crusty stuff.

i tried the antibiotics on her first and when it didn't clear up by the second day, i did the fungal and it cleared up immediately.

before killing her, you can always quarantine her in a cat crate (they only cost $15 at walmart and you'll probably use it more than once) and see if that'll help her eye.

i also had a rooster that was just blind in one eye. it was like it's underlid always covered that eye. sometimes it would come down and all you saw was this white ball. it didn't bother him, but i had to always make sure and approach him from his good eye side or he'd panic.

He is quarantined in a small wire cage. Thanks I will try the fungical meds right now. I have some cream for the athletes feet. The eye did have the crusty stuff but I took it off for the photo.

Is that the bird's cheek I see all swollen up? If it is eye ointment is not going to do anything. The bird needs to be on either oral or injectable antibiotics because it looks very much like the sinus' might also be infected.

And talk to your vet before you go using things on the eye that are not manufactured for the eye. I've been warned to be very careful of things not manufacturered specifically for treating eye problems by vets.

From the picture it looks like a swollen sinus but it is hard to tell. I would give an injection of Tylan 50 right into that area.

If you don't or can't do that then please take it to a vet but be warned if it is a bacterial infection or viral either one that bird could become ill again and spread it to the other birds.

If you want a clean healthy flock then I think you know what you should do but know one can make that choice but you.

I had this same problem i asked people and my 4-H office and all kinds to figure out what it was im not sure of the name but i was told to give a shot everyday for a week in the breast with LA200 when i did that for 7 days it went away but it is weird stuff if it aint quite gone after a week do it until it goes away but this worked i had it a couple of times

I did not kill him, he's my yard bird now!
smile.png
It popped or something like that. It did go away but, now that he's been away from the others they attack him when I put him back in the cage! Not your normal pecking order stuff, a real throw-down. I am just letting him roam the yard now.
D.gif

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but is it really feasible for most people to take a chicken to the vet when they have a health problem?

It's one thing to take it if it's a pet chicken, but don't most people (even people on this board) have chickens for eggs or ...gasp... other reasons?

A vet bill, at least around my area, is at least $65!

Vet visits and whether you can afford them is each person's choice. It is also one of those things that if the bird is valuable then the $65.00 bill is money well spent since you will see the return in the progeny produced.

I've taken birds to the vet several times but my vet is not getting rich off me. With an injection and exam the cost was $25.00.

Back
Top Bottom