Should I keep a roo?

my first peepers

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
South Western VT
Well after searching for a home for just one roo, two have come up this week. I was going to keep one roo for the winter to help keep the coop warm...I have 5 girls (all EEs) and a small coop. Originally I didn't plan to have roos but we got two by mistake from the feed store. The one we were going to keep survived surgery at 4 weeks old (thanks to a very generous local vet & when we thought he was a she) so my daughter is very attached to him. So far at 3 1/2 months he is very mellow and lets my daughter pick him up and carry him around. I free range in my yard but only when I'm home.
My question is...is it worth keeping a roo? Is it inevitable that he will turn on us? Will 5 girls be warm enough in a cold VT winter? My DH wants to get rid of the roo in the spring because he doesn't like the crowing and is worried about offending the neighbors.
Okay, so that was more than one question but I am so torn about breaking my daughter's heart now or later.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Since my chickens free-range all day long I wouldn't think of being without a roo. Sure my roos couldn't protect the hens if it were a large predator, such as a stray dog or coyote after them, but they're real good about giving early warning.
I love both my roos. Not all roos turn mean.

Try keeping a roo if at all possible. I love my roo, even though I never meant to have one (out of 4 chicks, three were cockerels). He is so big and full of personality--I was just explaining to my husband how he has so many different noises. (More info than he wanted to hear). Right now I am building a new day run and moving the coop to get it away from the one neighbor's bedroom window. The other neighbor is almost deaf and across the street they like roosters, so I should be okay. Talk to all your neighbors and make sure you don't have an uphill battle. Check the local laws. If his personality changes for the worse, or he becomes obnoxiously noisy, it won't be so hard to part with him.

I really like having roosters around. We have a Barred Rock rooster and a Marans rooster and they are both mellow and beautiful. Its fun to watch them too, they seem to have more personality and quirky behaviours than the hens. It also makes the flock seem like more of a complete unit but that is just my feeling. It seems like there are a lot of chicken people that only have hens and are fine with that.

I love all my chickens, but there is definitely something special about the roos... I have 4 (yes, I know, too many for my 19 chicken hens and 2 guinea hens, but I cannot/will not cull (definitely not by death) them just because they are roos), and they are delightful. Each has a very distinct personality, and they are great for watching over the girls as they go about their chickie business of looking for bugs, grass seed, etc., and leave it up to the guys to make sure they're safe. Aside from the occasional dust-up and pecking order jostling, they all get along well and there are none who are overly aggressive. They do crow all day but it doesn't bother me or my neighbors in the least. I am thankful for my guys!
love.gif

eta the roos are: RIR, (HUGE dude named Sarge), SLW Rocky, BR Brooster, and BO Moose

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your opinions! I do like having him around...and it seems that fate decided for me because the person who was supposed to take one changed her mind.
roll.png

I just hope that my slw "pullet" is what it's supposed to be!

Back
Top Bottom