should i keep the eggs?

momahenTN

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
N.W.Tennessee
i have given my flock tylan 200 and i was wondering if i should keep their eggs or toss them and for how long? edible eggs.gave tylan yesterday.

Quote:
I believe the latest advice is that there is no need to wait to eat the eggs when giving Tylan.

However, I think most experienced folks will tell you its safer not to eat or sell the eggs for 7-10 days. Some will also suggest you feed the egss (scrambled or hard-boiled) back to the hens.

Why did you treat your whole flock with Tylan?

i have lost several due to some type of respiratory. posted on emergency thread (sick ones) they sugessted tylan 200. they started with droopy wings and swollen around eyes look like allergies.lol.

speaking of feed, i usually feed layer and scratch. i have about 200. of course the young ones are still on grower. i saw on another thread about not to feed scratch while it is hot. what should i feed them all?

My hens get only layer feed in the coop. (Purina Layena)

However, when it is time to round them up in the evening, I keep a coffee can that is 50% Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and 50% Scratch Grains. I give that a shake and they come running because they know its treat time. The only time I feed scratch grains is as a treat.

The thought behind feeding scratch grains (or any corn products for that matter) during the summer months is due to the high starch (sugar) content and the calories involved require the bird to generate too much heat. Remember: a calorie is nothing more than a measure of heat.

Regardless, I also have several bags of feed corn left over from last year's corn maze. I will generaly throw a few ears into the run every couple of days. Any concern of excess heat has not been an issue for me so far this year. With all the rain we have been having the temperatures haven't been much over 70 and the nights are still dropping into the 40's.

So if you are seeing summer temperatures in Tennessee, its considered best to lay off the scratch grains until cooler weather. They just don't need the calories.

Quote:
For most meds they say to wait two weeks before eating.

When chickens have respiratory problems it's often something bad like CRD or Coryza and they become carriers for life. I'd get the birds tested.

feed roos what the hens eat.

Back
Top Bottom