Should I keep the light on?

I recently crocheted my girls a sweater.
tongue.png

That bird needed a good molt at the time I took this pic, and just last week, she finally got down to it! Dead of winter and she is nearly bald! LOL

Last edited:
Wow that is cold and good job on the bedding
lol.png

Nice coop look's like double wall construction
love.gif
ep.gif

Lot of work and thought went in to that but maybe a little cloth for the winter just to push back the snow but still let the air circulate
smile.png

The problem is if you heat the coop and you have a power outage the chickens could be in real trouble so you might want to check to see if a thermostat is available or use it up away from the chickens enough to brake the chill of frost
wink.png

Big point's for the care of your lady's
thumbsup.gif

gander007
old.gif

Ok will cover most of the vents with rolled towels and put the red heatlamp in for today/tonight. None are molting, all are fully feathered, so at least that is good. I have one bantam, she actually sleeps UNDER the bigger birds...lol

I think for one night or any nights that it gets brutally cold would be fine. I do it and my girls are still very tough in the cold. Doesn't phase them. As long as heat is only used occasionally, it will not change their abilities to withstand cold. Good luck!

Yes, the coop is double walled and the wall behind and the front wall are insulated, as well. Thank you. I tried to read and learn from what others have done. I want them to be happy, healthy and warm out there!!!

Thanks Gander! I whipped that thing up in a few hours. I haven't used it yet, but if she gets any more bald, she might just be sporting it yet!

Ok, put their heat lamp up over their roost, changing out all the shavings and adding all fresh and fresh straw on top of that, as well. Will close off some of the vents as well. Hopefully that will be good. I just don't want them to freeze overnight tonight, as it is really going to be alot worse then it has ever been here (heck, I cannot remember it ever being as cold as -20F here, esp. the actual temp not counting the wind chill!) I used their red brooder light.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom