Should I kill the rats?

Soot the silkie

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Humboldt, California
We have a bunch of rats who frequent the chicken yard, but they've been there for awhile and they do no harm, just nibble whatever is on the ground. They avoid the chickens and the chickens avoid them. Is there any need to kill them or can they live in peace with the chickens? They've never gotten in the coop or bothered the hens.

Last edited:
Rats are frequently carriers of Salmonella and E Coli and can contaminate feed and water. I would kill them.

Naaawww, they're so cute. And, they only nibble on the leftovers. And, I mean how bad can a little salmonella, E Coli, Leptospirosis or plague be?

I mean the poor little things are only doing what comes natural to them. And, they were there before you. The fact they may very well render every egg your chickens lay a salmonella bomb, is little price to pay for being a true animal lover. I'm against killing any living creature. Even if that creature is slaughtering my stock and indiscriminately dismembering them while screaming and still alive.

Some people just don't understand that, although they wantonly kill and will return to kill again and again, that this predatory/killer nature should not be held against them. I mean come on, poison eggs, sick and dying family members and stock being eaten while still alive.....

In fact if, you allow them to live, and continue to feed them, you will soon have thousands of these cuties to keep you company. Absolutely do not kill them!

Back
Top Bottom