Should I let a broody hen raise chicks?

Another egg hatched out about a week ago, but I found it dead in the brooding pen. Then about a day or 2 later she had another live chick, so she now has 2, about 10 days apart. I can't see under her to tell if there are any more chicks, but with the warmer days we're having, I might get a look soon. I also put a trail cam in the brooding pen, but not sure if I'll get anything due to lighting and distance.
Is she still sitting then? At this point she should be out raising the chicks she already has, or did you decide to take them away?

If she's still sitting I'd go in now and look. If there's any remaining eggs, candle them to see if they're viable, and if not, remove and toss them.

Is she still sitting then? At this point she should be out raising the chicks she already has, or did you decide to take them away?

If she's still sitting I'd go in now and look. If there's any remaining eggs, candle them to see if they're viable, and if not, remove and toss them.
It's been pretty cold her for the last few days so she's kept her chicks underneath her almost all the time. I do see the older one occasionally. Yesterday was finally a little warmer so I managed to push her off the nest to see what was going on. She now has 3 chicks total and no more eggs. 2 of the chicks are just a few days old so still pretty small and fragile. I'll give them a few more days and then I'll move the water and food out a little farther to encourage them to come out of the crate into the larger chick pen.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a hen who is getting very insistent about sitting on some eggs. It's still pretty cool here in upstate NY and if I let her sit now they'll likely hatch sometime early to mid-April and our temps will probably only be in the 50's-60's during the day. Will that be warm enough or will I still need to add a chick warmer? This is my first time letting a hen sit, but I've had chickens for about 5 years.
We did that last year and currently have a broody hens raising four chicks. We live in the mountains of south west Virginia where it's cool. Abby, our broody hen is keeping her chicks warm. At the same time the chicks are adapting to the cooler temperature. We have a heat lamp in their outdoor nursery but they don't use it much. The nursery is attached to the main chicken run so the current flock can see mamma and her chicks. We will mix the baby chicks with the main flock when the chicks are a month old.

We did that last year and currently have a broody hens raising four chicks. We live in the mountains of south west Virginia where it's cool. Abby, our broody hen is keeping her chicks warm. At the same time the chicks are adapting to the cooler temperature. We have a heat lamp in their outdoor nursery but they don't use it much. The nursery is attached to the main chicken run so the current flock can see mamma and her chicks. We will mix the baby chicks with the main flock when the chicks are a month old.
Good idea about the heat lamp. I had hoped it would be warm enough not to have to do that but it is still April in upstate NY so still have some pretty cool days. I'll get a heat lamp in there today.

Update on my chicks: Ended up with 4 live chicks total, now 4 1/2 to 7 weeks old. They're doing great; so far they all look female. Yay for that!! They've merged with the rest of the flock (after a couple of scuffles with Mama defending herself well & the rooster playing referee a couple times :lau ). And last night was the first time they went up into the enclosed coop with the rest of the flock and left their brooding pen behind. Overall a great experience!! Thanks for all the great advice. :frow

Back
Top Bottom