should i let my chickens die naturally?

does it seem moraly right to let chicken suffer?

• Total voters
Hi. I basically agree with you. However, I was wondering. As a vegetarian, why is your line drawn at animals? Plants are genetically modified and grown in ways that really hurt the environment just like factory farmed animals. Plants have been proven to react to stimuli, and form symbiotic complex relationships with animals and other plants. Why is it totally fine to eat a Monsanto tomato, but not a cornish x or an egg? Or why do most people not think twice when they rip an apple from their mother tree and tear it's flesh with their teeth? Or dice an heirloom carrot into 100 pieces? I get really hung up on this. Because plants don't have a nervous system YOU can recognize they are morally free of guilt to eat? Or they don't make noise when you pick/kill them? Either way for one to eat something has to sacrifice its life. That is just the way it is. Whether it is a Waygu or a soy bean. Why is it acceptable to kill plants not animals?
Plants have no nerves not do they have a brain which means they have no feelings. Plants are grown to eat.
Next time you think about walking on the grass, please don't as it'll squash it and hurt it.

Hi. I basically agree with you. However, I was wondering. As a vegetarian, why is your line drawn at animals? Plants are genetically modified and grown in ways that really hurt the environment just like factory farmed animals. Plants have been proven to react to stimuli, and form symbiotic complex relationships with animals and other plants. Why is it totally fine to eat a Monsanto tomato, but not a cornish x or an egg? Or why do most people not think twice when they rip an apple from their mother tree and tear it's flesh with their teeth? Or dice an heirloom carrot into 100 pieces? I get really hung up on this. Because plants don't have a nervous system YOU can recognize they are morally free of guilt to eat? Or they don't make noise when you pick/kill them? Either way for one to eat something has to sacrifice its life. That is just the way it is. Whether it is a Waygu or a soy bean. Why is it acceptable to kill plants not animals?
Do you need to eat? Cause I do.

I don't think you can argue that we shouldn't eat plants OR meat. There's nothing left!

On the OPS question, I couldn't let an animal suffer if I could humanely euthanise it. And I no longer keep hybrid chickens that are bred to lay and lay and burn out quickly and with painful egg related issues, for that very reason.

I don't judge anyone who eats meat, or who is vegan or anything inbetween. It is a personal choice.

I do however judge people who hunt any animal just for sport. And those who overbreed dogs in puppy farms, and anyone who is cruel to animals.

According to this article, vegetables do have a defense:

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/is-broccoli-good-for-you
I read studies many years ago which showed plants do offer resistance. It's hard to imagine that nature is as cruel as it is beautiful but there is nothing beautiful in suffering and suffering is ubiquitous in nature. As a Buddhist I try to choose the path of least suffering for others, which leads to my own protection from the poor judgement of my own mind to say nothing of the misguided judgements which lead to current methods used in confinement farming operations or industrial agriculture. Buddhist Monastics, by the way, cannot even uproot a plant or take its fruit. Monastics must be offered sustenance everyday.

yes but eating the apple and throwing the core in the garbage destroys the potential life of all those seeds. So it does hurt the plant's ability to reproduce.
As much as it does, you don’t really want millions of apples trees everywhere. One way we can help solve this problem is to compost the scraps, then use the compost to help grow another plant. The apple tree itself is also only counting on a few of those seeds even sprouting. If you want you can try and use the apple seeds to create a plant, but the plant doesn’t need to actually have any of its seeds to sprout in order for it to live.

Wow! I probably shouldn't comment here because this thread is going way beyond where I think it should. Through animal management, humane treatment, and the growth of planting crops for personal use, I think we're doing the right things. More interest in organic farming is a good thing for all of us. Can throwing an apple core in the compost pile or even the garbage be seen as hurting the plant's ability to reproduce? I hardly think so. We bought our chickens for the ability to get fresh organic eggs and we provide our chickens a comfortable existence. Will I let them survived even if they are beyond the laying stage? Yes, but that's a personal thing and the reason I couldn't raise animals for meat. With us, they become pets ad we treat our pets well. However, I realize that if everyone felt that way, we wouldn't have steak on the grill so I respect all of those who can raise cattle and meat birds. I don't consider them any less moral than us.

Plants don’t have feelings or consciousness. Please - don’t be ridiculous. What are we supposed to survive on, air and the lord? Makes no sense and this is completely irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom