Should I let my chickens out when it's raining?

tweetzone86

Songster
Jul 23, 2018
Kootenai County, ID
Hello all!

So I have 12 RIR pullets (25 weeks old) and they don't like being literally cooped up (7x10 coop but 7x20 run).

But it's raining outside, and it's only supposed to be 40 something degrees today.

Will they be ok in the run? The roof is all wire fencing (long story-used what we had for cats and hawks) and so there's no dry spot in the run (yet...working on it).

Or should I put a tarp over it in the meantime so they stay dry? I can't do that when snow comes (40 lb snow load here) but I can do it before it snows.

I'm just concerned they'll get too cold if they're wet...

Thanks!

Hello all!

So I have 12 RIR pullets (25 weeks old) and they don't like being literally cooped up (7x10 coop but 7x20 run).

But it's raining outside, and it's only supposed to be 40 something degrees today.

Will they be ok in the run? The roof is all wire fencing (long story-used what we had for cats and hawks) and so there's no dry spot in the run (yet...working on it).

Or should I put a tarp over it in the meantime so they stay dry? I can't do that when snow comes (40 lb snow load here) but I can do it before it snows.

Thanks!
My poultry gets to make the decision of whether to go out in the rain or snow. I open the door to the coop in the morning and close it for the night. Once the door is open, they come and go freely no matter what the weather or temperature is.

A chicken soaked on the outside does not mean that it is in danger being cold. The outer feathers prevent the inner downy feathers from getting wet which why they can look bedraggled and still be fine.

Hello all!

Thanks!
My chickens Don't like the rain- they avoid it at all cost. They will just hang out in the coop if it rains.. if it's drizzling they will go out.
I guess it depends on your temperature too. I am in Texas so not usually that cold. But 40 something and raining they probably won't like it. I have tin on my run so that the food doesn't get wet.

Mine have been out in the past rains and it's been in the forties here. They always dry up without heat and come out seeming perfectly healthy. If they ever need to go in the coop or under it, they will. But they never do. I actually have two coops available to them 24/7 but they still continue to stay outside when it's pouring. But then again, when I pick them up it always seems that their skin is still dry.

My 26 week old flock never stays in when it's raining unless it is a downpour. They all got soaked last week when the temp ranged between 36 and 42 for the day with a mild wind. They didn't care and had a great time. Everyone came out of the coop in the morning dry and fluffy after their shower.

Thanks! My coop is directly attached to my run (it's actually the back end of a 10x20 shed) and I keep their feed and water inside. I know I've got mice in the yard somewhere, and I don't want it left out anyway.

Plans are to put a roof over the back half (so they still get plenty of sunlight- we can't let them range unless we're out there with them due to neighbor cats and hawks) but it has to wait til after my hysterectomy and recovery, which will prob push it back to next spring. Hubby can't lift the 4x6x10' solid oak heat treated beams himself that we got free (heavy equipment pallets can only be used once so they throw them away and our friend who works there brought some to us) for the framework, and I can't lift them right now at all with the surgery coming up (I tried, threw my pelvic bones out, tensed up all the muscles that need to loosen for it (also have pelvic floor/muscle dysfunction) and my physical therapist yelled at me and put me on lifting restriction...).

Here's a picture of my setup (sort of- was too tired to get a pic this morning so this was done in paint):

upload_2018-10-31_10-31-37.png

I let them decide.....some love it, some do not.

I remember the first time my birds got 'soaked' in the rain.
Checked them on the roost that night, it was chilly IIRC, put my hand under feathers next to skin, it was warm and dry under there.
I never worried about it again.

Back
Top Bottom