Should I let my girls outside when there is snow on the ground?

Quote:
I live in SW Arkansas and while we don't get the winters that Canada or even the northeastern US gets, we do get WINTER here folks.
tongue.gif

It's spitting snow right now as a matter of fact. I just went out to collect eggs and came back with five. I have three hens still on the nests.
ETA: I've lived all over this country, including the mountains of NC and Colorado. IMO, Arkansas winters are the worst! Cold I can deal with, but it's dreary and wet here from December thru April.

Last edited:
I let mine in the snow but mine are just your plain ole leghorns sooo.......
I throw some food out in the snow for them to scratch at and when they get cold feet they either go inside the coop or up on the roost we have built for them in their run.

We rely on temps more than snow fall. Ours love scratching around in the snow AND you get the added benefit of the cute little chicken foot prints. Ours walked all over the drive way two days ago. It was great entertainment to see all the prints.

I had this wonderful vision of my girls frolicking in the snow & couldn't wait to see it.
When I opened the coop door on the big day, they took one look, turned around & went back inside.
Not wanting to let go of my dream, I picked one up and set her down in it,
thinking she'd like it if she tried it & the others would follow.
She tore back into the coop and looked at me as if I'd kicked her.
Years later, after many such failures, I've given up.

mine experienced their first snow yesterday. i threw some hay down in their run so they would have a couple places to get up off the snow if they choose, but they seemed to love it. i put one feeder in the coop and one in the run so they would have options. they still spent most of the day playing in the snow! it was adorable watching them eat snowflakes off each others back!

My girls H.A.T.E. the snow, but man, it's here for soooooo darned long in Minnesota. Eventually they come out, but only under coaxing. I think the sunshine does them good. If/When they get cold, they'll go back in on their own. Mine like to sit (I mean poo) on the door mat at my glass back door and beg to come inside. Keep dream'n girls....

Quote:
Chickens are a lot like your children; whatever your visions, whatever you want them to do or expect them to do, count on them doing the exact opposite!

Quote:
Yeah, mine too!

Then they come over to the nest box when I open it to check for eggs, and look out hoping for better weather on the other side of the coop.

Quote:
My girls went out every day last winter and laid every day...snow and all. My Light Brahma was a 5 egg per week girl...right up there with my australorps.

to the OP yes let them out...they will go inside if they are too cold...they are fun to watch in the snow.

Back
Top Bottom