1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should i let them die??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 9farmgirl9, Oct 29, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Its fall here around 30degrees at night so i didnt think my mama guinea wood hatch any, but today there were two baby chicks. I had to take em away she was trying to get them to follow her around. Anyways there are 9 guinea eggs in the nest and they shood hatch in 7 days since chickens take 21 so shood i leave em or put em in my incubator? I have never had luk with incubating except when the hens layed on them for awhile and id always get a 100% hatch. But i have a niece that well doesnt listen, she has killed over 50 baby guineas in the 3 months ive known her. This is why i ask shood i leave them or press my luck. Currently the niece isnt coming over and the guinea hen has left the nest.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Keep the two keets in a box or brooder with a light for heat. They should be kept at about 90 degrees. If the guinea sits on the other eggs, let her hatch them. If she leaves the nest, take the eggs and put them in the incubator (if you have one.) Once the others hatch, you can take them and raise them in a brooder, too. Don't let your neice near the babies!

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh boy, If the niece is not around then put them in the bator. If you have to tape the bator shut! You will have to care for them.If you dont have the room/time let the eggs die.
    Can you give ma back her babes and place her somewhere warm for a week or 2? If not you are mom.

4. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Quote:The ones that have hatched are chicks not keets thats why they hatched sooner. [​IMG] And now i have a lock on my door so if she does come over and im not here she cant get them [​IMG]

5. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Update: The two chicks are fine. And so far 4 have hatched and 3 are piping and two are moving around so all is good. the one thathave hatched are lavender and white. will post piks soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by