Should I make another roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShelleyN, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    It was recommended we get 3 chickens, not 2 in case there were any personality problems. Well 2 are dominant against 1 so I have some questions. The perfect storm occurred for Pearl in that she is molting horribly, and it has snowed and there have been a couple days when everyone refused to leave the roost let alone, go outside.

9:00pm Monday night we found Pearl outside the coop in the bushes in a pitiful state. Most of the pin feathers on her neck had been pecked out. I thought we may loose her, but let me tell you, chickens respond to TLC! A few nights inside with us, and a day with Rose locked up in the run, with Pearl having full use of the yard with Lulu and she is almost back to her old self.

Question: We only have one 3' roost in the coop. She needs to be able to get away, should I make another roost in the coop? Will she be happy overnight by herself on a roost? Over the winter?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    sure why not...it can't hurt! Poor thing, glad she is on the mend...another roost may not be the answer, so keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't happen again.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I would try an additional roost. I have a hen who will not let any of the other hens sit on "her" roost. and the roost is 10 feet long. So the other pullets have to sit together on the far end away from her. if they get to close she will chase them away.

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I agree with trying another roost. Chickens can be funny - I have 20 and almost all want to sleep on the top roost. When I added a last chicken that was younger than the others, I actually let her sleep in a nest box. Yes, I had to clean out some poo each morning, but it was a small price to pay knowing she wasn't picked on until she was able to stand her own ground. Now, she has decided to roost with the others without me moving her to the roost.

There will always be some pecking, but I hate it when one is beat up badly. Glad you were able to save her.

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Poor baby. Glad to hear she is doing better. Luckily I haven't had to deal with this but I agree, try another roost. Can't hurt. Also I have read where if you know who is pecking on her you can remove that one for a couple of days then return her. She will be considered a newbie and will be lowest on the pecking order. Maybe that would help. Good luck.

6. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    The more escape places the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by