Should I move my guinea keet outside?

LivingFate

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
I got him/her second wk of Oct so he's about 12 wks If I counted right? I live in New England its been Really cold outside lately he's my only little guy in my basement, the other ones didn't make it. I have 1 guinea hen in the coop, 3 past away in Oct which was why I got more keets so she wouldn't be alone. I have 8 chickens- silkies and cochins.

I do not have electricity in the coop- should I move this little guy out or keep him in my basement untill it gets warmer?

Hmmmmmm, it might be a bit of a shock to his system going from a warm house out to the coop.

I personally, would build/make a small cage or use a dog carrier or something like that, and put him in the coop in the cage for a couple of hours a day perhaps (during the warmest part of the day), or if there is another place like the garage thats not AS cold as outside, so he can slowly get used to the colder temps.

Good Luck.

How bout a dozen guineas in the house??? OH no buy stock in earplugs.
ep.gif

I would give him the boot. On the first semiwarm day.

Semiwarm -ha! Now that may be awhile....my basement is only has a fireplace for a heatsource, which I've only put on a handful of the coldest nights lately- I still have a heatlamp on him though. If I shut the heat lamp off it would be just like being out in the coop. Should I just do that for a wk or so and then put him outside?

I would have to isolate him in the coop for a bit right so the others can get used to him without hurting him? Right??

yeah, he might need to be seperate, and that will prevent him from getting warm by snuggling with the others. Can you put the heat lamp out there with him. I have an extension cord running out about 100 feet or more to my coops to run the lamps.
~Rebecca

needmorechickens! :

yeah, he might need to be seperate, and that will prevent him from getting warm by snuggling with the others. Can you put the heat lamp out there with him. I have an extension cord running out about 100 feet or more to my coops to run the lamps.
~Rebecca

hmmm,, I know my husbands not keen on that idea for fire safety reasons but I'll have to talk to him about that again..​

Back
Top Bottom