Should I move older bird who seems to make others nervous?

Der Alte

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 1, 2008
I have 9 pullets that are about two to two and a half weeks old. There is a tenth pullet who is about three weeks older. This tenth one, a barred rock, has been trying to escape, without success, out of the top of the brooder. When she does this, her running and leaping makes for a tense atmosphere for the other nine. I have shown the tenth one around part of the house so she can see what is out there. I don't know if that does any good with chickens, but I thought she would enjoy it.

Every other day, I have held each chick, talked to them, and they are always calmer when returned to the brooder. However, except for one of two Delawares, they now all run to the opposite end when I remove their feeder and waterer for cleaning and refilling. They now fear "The Hand". Often, when I stop by to say hello, they all stop and stare. All movement and sound ceases. They seem scared.

The chicks have proper heat, light, food and water. I picked them up from the hatchery so they never had to endure the stress of shipment. I have been considering moving the older bird to a seperate, smaller brooder to see if that makes the other nine less nervous. If there is no difference, I will put the older one back in with the gang. The flock is made up of 2 BA, 2 Deli, and one each of BR, EE, RIR, BO, SS, and SLW.

Any suggestions or comments? This is my first flock and I want them to be happy and also calm, if possible.

Der Alte

IMO, #10 is your leader and the other chicks are taking their cues from him/him. If you remove that chick for long another one will just take over.
They go thru phases, sometimes more nervous than others. I would leave them together.

Back
Top Bottom