should i move them?

chickencity

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
its day 19 and one of the chicks have already started peeping. i have them setting small end down in the egg holder in the turner. if i move them to the hatching try the eggs will be on their side instead of upright. should i move them anyway? will they be ok if i move them from upright to sideways? i dont have any of those paper egg cartons all i have are the styrfoam.

I would leave them at this point. If you open the bator that much, your humidity will drop down to low and you will compromise your hatch. Just make sure your turner isn't turning and be prepared for a little more clean up.

ok thanks..last time i but them in the turners on their sides beacuse they were banty eggs so when they started peeping i just laid them on the sides in the hatching tray. but i thought i had another day with these before they started to peep. my egg holders are the blue plastic kind that have the points that hold the egg...will they be ok in there..im worried they might get a foot cought or something.

That's a good question. Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will chime in here.

I've never had to experience something like this before. I've always removed my eggs from the turner on day 18 and put them in the paper cartons.

they'er rounded off. but it dosent sit directly on the tray it has small legs so there are gaps between the rack and the tray.

Oh... I just don't know.

If they were my eggs, I'd leave them alone for fear of compromising the hatch and I would watch them like a hawk to make sure nothing happens to the ones that hatch.

Ok I am not an expert...but I think if none have pipped the shell or started to hatch that it is still ok to take them out of the turner and up your humidity. And a lot of people take them from the upright position in the turner and lay them on their sides for the hatch. That is what I do. If you want to use the styrafoam egg carton you could do that too. Cut little holes in the bottom for air circulation. I hope someone else give you more info....but if it were me...I would take them out of the turner....but only if none have pipped the shell.

I had a chick peeping at me in the shell when I candled it on day 18 as I was taking it off the turner, and then I put it with the rest on their sides to hatch. And it hatched a day later.

*Edited to say that I thought you meant you heard them peeping. But I see now that you meant pipping the shell. So see my later post about leaving them in the bator and keep it shut! Sorry didn't want to confuse you.
smile.png

Last edited:
they have already started peeping the shells. i have 36 eggs and maybe about 10 have peeped the shell. i think i have an egg flat laying around that i can put holes in..its paper. will that work or should i just leave them alone. tomorrow will be day 21.

Back
Top Bottom