Should I not breed these Orpingtons

Pgrine

Songster
Dec 27, 2018
Arcadia, Ohio
I have these Lavender Orpingtons that I got from Cackle Hatchery last June. I see now that their feathers look shredded! I was hoping to show them at fair this year but now I see they have a defective gene. Is it still ok to breed them just for eggs and as pets? Will all the chicks hatched from them still have this defect?

Attachments

• IMG_20190227_174948.jpg
    IMG_20190227_174948.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20190227_124552473.jpg
    IMG_20190227_124552473.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 71
I have these Lavender Orpingtons that I got from Cackle Hatchery last June. I see now that their feathers look shredded! I was hoping to show them at fair this year but now I see they have a defective gene. Is it still ok to breed them just for eggs and as pets? Will all the chicks hatched from them still have this defect?
If it is a defect then you risk continuing it in new chicks, but if it's just for producing chicks for pets and eggs then it wouldn't matter.

I wouldn't show them either. In addition to the poor feathering, an unfortunate side effect of the lavender gene (breeding back to black every few generations can help with this) they are not very type-y. The hens are very narrow and don't appear to be very deep-bodied or have much if any cushion. The rooster carries himself poorly as well. He is very, very upright and his comb leaves much to be desired if you're looking to show. All of their tails are also carried high and are narrow too.

Honestly if you're looking to show and breed them, it would be better to find them from a reputable breeder that is focused on producing quality birds rather than a hatchery or someone else interested in producing a large quantity of birds in order to sell them for a profit.

Thank you for your response. I was very disappointed with these birds. I got rid of my Buff Orpington roosters because I wanted to get a whole flock of Lavenders eventually. Now I'm not even interested in the lavender at all. My Buffs were beautiful and I'm very mad at myself for making this poor decision. I have just had all around horrible experience with this hatchery that is in Missouri. Local is the way to go.

Usually with newer colors/mutations and rare breeds it is best to find a private person working with them to obtain your stock from. Because hatcheries are in business to make money they simply can't afford to cull the way someone that is dedicated to improving and preserving breeds is. They've probably obtained Lavenders from some of @hinkjc 's birds in PA years ago and haven't outcrossed them to unrelated Black Orpingtons. Doing that would create splits that are visually black and therefore not able to be sold as lavender. Trying to market the split birds would be an even bigger headache for them, because visually they look the same as a normal black and without test breeding them they could mistakenly mix up chicks and send people the wrong stuff.

I'm sorry you're not having good luck with them. Locally on Craigslist I see a lot of people offering Lavender Orps and they don't look great to me. If I could find four or five nice looking hens I'd put them with my SLO male in my avatar picture to take some heat of his only hen. But in the meantime I just keep looking for other breeders that have quality birds. :)

Thank you!! This is what I was wanting to get! I see way to much black on these chickens. So very disappointed. Your lavender Orps are beautiful ♥.

I purchased these chickens from Cackle Hatchery. I thought they were reputable because I have seen so many order from them. I don't even think these are Orpingtons at all. Who knows what breed they are. . Never ordering from them again! And I will never have anything good to say about them. I gotta get them out of my flock.

Back
Top Bottom