Black Mottled English Orpingtons shredded feathers

Dawnmac

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2021
I purchased black mottled English Orpingtons chick from a breeder and all my pullets have shredded feathers. Some are more so than others. Also the breeder sent 2 lavender mottled for extras I guess but their feathers are shredded as well. Someone told me lavenders are notorious for shredding and shredding feathering is considered poor quality. Is this true?

I could not find genetics for black mottled English orpingtons to help explain the possible shredding in the feathers. It would be nice to know more if I need to go back to the breeder to let them know if they need to change/correct their breeding pens. I also don’t want to have chicks if I’m going to have the same issue or is there a way to correct the shredding.

I appreciate any input.
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_0149.jpeg
IMG_0155.jpeg
IMG_0154.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0152.jpeg

Looks like you black mottleds inherited the wing patch (which causes feather shredding) gene when the breeder crossed with lavender in their ancestry.)

Agreed. The shredder gene most often pairs with Lavender, but it can be bred into other colors as well. The blacks that are used to improve feather quality can yield black offspring carrying the problem.
So, the breeder sold you their culls. Which is a totally fine practice, when they're nice birds otherwise, but should come at a cull price. Since English Orpington go for more than most breeds, that would mean paying the same as for another breed. ($25 / $30 hen here).

If you want to work on it, you need a roo from a black line carrying no lavender. Some breeder lines of black have the best examples of the breed for form.
Use the hens you have to ingress the mottled gene, as it will take several / many generations to get rid of the shredding anyway, so you may as well wait for full mottled from the splits as well.
Select against lavender and against any sign of shredding.

If they were another breed, I would suggest just replacing with better birds. Ameraucana, in particular, have some really clean lines of lavender. But as English Orpingtons, there aren't many without the shredder gene, so basically everyone involved with them is either still working on it, doesn't care and breeds indiscriminately, or avoids lavender like the plague.

Back
Top Bottom