Lavender Orpington Genetics

Crazy_Beautiful

Songster
Nov 12, 2021
South Central Ontario
I’ve been reading everything I can but can’t seem to understand fully so if someone can ‘dumb’ it down for me a smidge.

I have a flock of Orpington’s.
Lavender Rooster
4 Lavender Hens (poor feathers after I bought them the seller wrote me saying she didn’t know why they looked fluffy)
3 What we’re suppose to be blacks but now look to be a mix they have mottling. This seller has since told me they are lavender x silver laced and I asked so many times are these black splits.

If I can find some black hatching eggs that will be better than keeping the mottled blacks in this flock correct? Or even better if I can find black splits?

And if I end up with Black Splits as that is my goal what happens when I breed those to my Lavender Rooster?

I also like how a buff x lavender looks would those be distinguishable as day olds from lavenders or blacks?

I’ve been reading everything I can but can’t seem to understand fully so if someone can ‘dumb’ it down for me a smidge.

Lavender Rooster
4 Lavender Hens (poor feathers after I bought them the seller wrote me saying she didn’t know why they looked fluffy)
3 What we’re suppose to be blacks but now look to be a mix they have mottling. This seller has since told me they are lavender x silver laced and I asked so many times are these black splits.

If I can find some black hatching eggs that will be better than keeping the mottled blacks in this flock correct? Or even better if I can find black splits?

And if I end up with Black Splits as that is my goal what happens when I breed those to my Lavender Rooster?

I also like how a buff x lavender looks would those be distinguishable as day olds from lavenders or blacks?
For your last question, yes, they would be. At least in my experience. I don't have any pictures unfortunately or I would show you.

Lavender Rooster
If they have mottling then they are not black splits.
Yes, you would need solid black or black splits to breed with in order to keep/improve the lavender gene.
If you breed with solid black, you will get 100% black/split/lav chicks.
Yes.

If they have mottling then they are not black splits.

Yes, you would need solid black or black splits to breed with in order to keep/improve the lavender gene.

If you breed with solid black, you will get 100% black/split/lav chicks.

Yes.
What happens when I breed a split back to a lavender? Would be be 50/50 splits or lavenders… and hopefully lavenders with better feathers?

What happens when I breed a split back to a lavender? Would be be 50/50 splits or lavenders… and hopefully lavenders with better feathers?
C87312A5-0740-4EFA-9578-28B11BEF14B9.png

Black splits may also be a bit smaller in size, from what I’ve noticed. Lavender and black split isn’t a recognized SOP yet as it’s still in the works.

A lot of lavenders still carry the shredded feather gene.
Yes my lavenders have terrible feathers.
I have 2 younger lavenders that don’t look as bad as my older ones.
This is why I’m thinking to have black splits. To be able to offer hopefully lavenders with better feathers.

My rooster also doesn’t look to have great feathers but he was 1 of 3 roosters with only 4 hens. He was bottom of the pecking order and the previous owner said he regularly got bullied. He hasn’t had a full molt so I’m hoping he feathers look rough due to battle scars.
His body shape if great he looks like a giant beach ball and he is so friendly. Almost too friendly for me as I do prefer a rooster that keeps their distance. This one runs to me like he’s a dog and will even come to his name being called.

Back
Top Bottom