1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I not have bird feeders for wild birds??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rhody josephine, Mar 14, 2011.

1. rhody josephine

rhody josephine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    I am getting ready to start raising chickens with my granddaughter so we are new to this and have many questions that have been answered in your forum. Do we need to be cocerned about wild birds in the area? We have several bird feeders on our property and I'm concerned that they will bring in in disease and pests. Should I take them down before I get my chicks? We plan on free ranging for the most part.
    Thanks.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Wild birds bring in alot of diseases, I wouldn't hang bird feeders. The less that are around the better.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I kept the wild bird feeders away from the chicken feeders and didn't often have cross overs - my chickens were "contained" in a fenced back yard-

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    If your chickens are going to free range they will be exposed to wild birds. No reason to stop feeding the wild birds.

Heck sometimes wild birds get into coops too!

5. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    I have my wild bird feeders in the front of the house and the chickens in the back. My neighbors feed the wild birds in their back yard. So far I haven't had any problems. Now that being said, you will have sparrows eating your chicken feed, so there will be wild birds around your chickens. If someone knows how to keep the sparrows away PLEASE let me know.

6. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

First [​IMG] and [​IMG] from South Carolina.

Second, I would not worry about feeders. Like wren said they will be exsposed anyway. I, myself, have tons of bird feeders and have never had any problems. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. rhody josephine

rhody josephine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Wow!! Thanks for all the input!! You folks are fantastic!

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:My comments exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    I have feeders and the chickens will come eat whatever falls out on the ground that the birds drop. I also get birds in the coop. I dont put enough feed in there for there to be leftovers so I dont have much of a problem. Once, I came out to feed, and somehow a robin got in there. He never left. Chickens protect thier food. I dont see any problem with having feeders for wild birds.

Rammy

10. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    [​IMG] from the snow and mud of minnesota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by