Should I, or shouldn't I get chicks?

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I have found, what I believe is a good price, for Cornish X day-old chicks($1.12 each shipped). I have no expirience with chicks. I am considering 25 chicks. I live in Ohio, and the fall weather is upon us, with winter quickly approaching. I am concerned with taking care of chicks with the cold weather that is approaching. The chicks will get their own area in the same coop as my layers. Is cold weather something that will significatly complicate my first attempt at raising chicks? Is the risk of losing some because of the cold going to offset the reduced price for chicks?

I would appreciate any input on this. I am typically a very desicive person, but this one has me doing a lot of second guessing.

The only problem will be to keep them warm with a heat lamp while they are outside and keeping them away from preditors. But other than that, I don't see any real difference between having spring chicks and "fall/winter" chicks.

Last edited:
Just a little FYI because I didn't see a mention of it in your post... Not sure if you know, but the Cornish X are meat birds. They've been bred to grow and to be slaughtered at less than a year of age. If they aren't slaughtered, they will actually die of heart issues due to their immense size.

Are you planning to raise your own meat? If not, then you might want to look for birds somewhere else.

IMHO I think I would wait till spring. Cold weather can be rough on chicks PLUS if you adding them to the hen house they seem to shun newbies and they could get left out in the cold. BUT I never raised meat chickens before, they could be different than the layers. You will get several opinions here I'm sure. Good luck with whatever you decide
big_smile.png
And don't forget! TAKE PICS
big_smile.png

Your largest concearn is just going to be keeping them from getting chilled. If you have a place for them that will enable you to keep the temps correct for new chicks consistantly them I don't see a problem.

Chicken Lady, yes, they are for meat. Hangin Wit My Peeps, they will have thier own area, seperated from layers. I will have a heat lamp for them. I will not be around to monitor it during the day, though.

If temp range was 25 degrees to 40 degrees, at what age or size would they no longer need heat lamp? If these birds grow as fast as they claim, they won't be chicks for very long will they?

You'd be wise to use two heat lamps, just in case one of them burns out. Be sure to use the 250 watt bulbs, and place them about 18" off the floor. The chicks should not bunch up in the middle of where the light is the brightest, they should space themselves in a circle around that spot. Chicks know their comfort zone. Be sure to provide some protection against drafts.

These chicks will likely be ready for processing within 6-8 weeks. They grow so incredibly fast if fed well.

I have had better results with raising them in the fall. In the summer, it sometimes gets far too hot here, and they cannot stand too much heat. Their hearts and lungs are not able to compensate for high temps. I'd go for it. Good luck!

Meyer hatchery in Polk, Ohio. They are running a 20% off special on them right now. They have a hatch scheduled for Monday, and the lady said possibly 1 more the following Monday. My price is based on shipping to anywhere in Ohio for up to 51 chicks. Shipping rate may be a little more to your state. Just call and ask. 1.888.568.9755

Back
Top Bottom