should i play with my baby's?

I hold mine at least once a day so they get used to me. Don't just reach in a grab them from on top because that is what a predator does, put your palm up and scoop them up from under their chests. My grown ones now come running to me when they see me, of course treats help when they get older.
big_smile.png

Ok, I have tried playing. they just ran away.
So i sat for a while and then laid my hand upside down in the bottom of their brood.
Will they soften up eventually???

If you spend a lot of time with them they will come around. Also once you start giving treats (food bribes) they start running to your hand to see if you might have something yummy in it. They will go through stages as well. Sometimes they will be scared and others they will be excited to see you. My current batch are mostly terrified when they are in the brooder, now nearly at 2 and 3 weeks old respectively, but if I let them outside and sit on the ground with them they all flock around me for safety, I am mother hen after all
lol.png

One thing I like to do that I am convinced helps is to spend time sitting where they can see and hear you but without you actually playing with them. Sit by the brooder, read a book or talk on the phone. Become a fixture instead of an incidental predator. They will accept you eventually. They will still have scared times where they run but if you are patient, they will usually come back eventually.

I play with mine several time a day. They are in my den and I open the brooder door and they come flying out. Several of them are very friendly and pester me constantly for attention, while others are stand offish. The more you play with them the more friendly they become.

I make sure to hold each of mine several times a day. Sometimes it is just a few minutes with each, but when I have time I hold them longer. At night I make sure to stay up late holding each one for a long time. At first some of them seem skittish and not having fun, but they always soften up and end up laying in my hand or perching on my finger. I talk to them a lot. Each one has a different way of being held. One likes it when I lay down and she lays under my chin and snuggles up to me. Another hates to sit on the palm of my hand, but loves to sit on my forearm. 2 of mine are 3 days old and the other 2 are 9 days.
-Sara

The last few days I have been opening the end of the freezer box condo and sitting on the floor to give them thier boiled egg.They now run up to me and peck at my toes, I had also gotten them a couple of little balls with bells in them, when I shake them they come running and will chase them whenI toss them. I have been snuggling each of them everyday. I never dreamt they would be as much fun as they are!!!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom