Should I pluck broken feathers to encourage re-growth?

bpilgrim

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Hi everyone, one of my silkie hens was getting too much action from the roosters. I have since rearranged and have a much better balance. All of my hens with missing feathers are growing theirs back, except one. I'm not sure if I should pluck these broken ones out to encourage regrowth. Based on the photos, what do you think? Not sure if they are blood feathers or not. Looking at wings and tail feathers here.

Thanks everyone for any advice you have here.

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

I'm no expert, but don't think they will grow back in until the next molt.
I did have a past flock with a feather picker and those bare bums were bare for a year until the next molt. IMO don't pull them.

But isn't it unusual for roos to pull wing feathers? Why don't you try some hen saddles or separate the bully?

Hi everyone, one of my silkie hens was getting too much action from the roosters. I have since rearranged and have a much better balance. All of my hens with missing feathers are growing theirs back, except one. I'm not sure if I should pluck these broken ones out to encourage regrowth. Based on the photos, what do you think? Not sure if they are blood feathers or not. Looking at wings and tail feathers here.

Thanks everyone for any advice you have here.

View attachment 1095943
View attachment 1095944
My hen had chopsticks for a tail and she was so sunburned all the time. I gave it a year and she never molted them out. I pulled just one out of her tail and waited a week. After a week she had a gorgeous little feather growing in. I now pluck5-10 old feathers a week(no more, its stressful for her, you need locking tweezers and steady hands) and she is saved from the pot. But this is not the for sure cure for everyone. I found pus pockets at the end of some of the feathers and all chopsticks must go.

I would suggest you try pulling one feather as a test. Pull straight out, two fingers at the base to support her flesh against your pull, do not twist and be quick and careful not to catch her skin. After a week or two judge the results.

Hi all.

Jumping on an old post here but basically for the same advice, different cause.
Our Runner Duck is a house duck and one of his 'quirks' is that he is an obsessive preener. This causes him wear away feathers and they end up snapping.

For context he is a rescue egg with a complicated hatch that led to lack of oxygen. He's a peculiar duck but very happy and the vet is very happy he's fit and health, if I little odd.

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth/ok me plucking any wing and tail feather (not a blood feather though) when he wears them to the point of snapping. He molts lightly all year, but has only had 1 big molt after we heavy increased his protein to induce one at the age of 2. (aged 3 in May)

Hi all.

Jumping on an old post here but basically for the same advice, different cause.
Our Runner Duck is a house duck and one of his 'quirks' is that he is an obsessive preener. This causes him wear away feathers and they end up snapping.

For context he is a rescue egg with a complicated hatch that led to lack of oxygen. He's a peculiar duck but very happy and the vet is very happy he's fit and health, if I little odd.

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth/ok me plucking any wing and tail feather (not a blood feather though) when he wears them to the point of snapping. He molts lightly all year, but has only had 1 big molt after we heavy increased his protein to induce one at the age of 2. (aged 3 in May)
Pulling wing/tail feathers is generally not recommended due to the size of the feathers. It’s painful for them to pull those feathers.

Back
Top Bottom