should I put fake eggs in nesting boxes???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

We are newbies and can't wait til our hens start laying!!! Our six red sexlinks are 16 weeks old and we're hoping to see [​IMG] soon. They free range for 2 hours in the afternoon (otherwise we'd have no veggies in our garden) and I'm worried that they might lay the eggs somewhere in the yard - is that possible??? I was wondering if anyone puts wooden eggs in nesting boxes --- I was told that it encourages them to us the nesting boxes. Thanks!!!

cutiepie960 likes this.
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup. I keep golf balls in the nest boxes all the time. I have laying hens and pullets and some getting ready to lay.

3. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hi! I put plastic eggs in my nestboxes. You know the kind they fill for Easter. I let my girls out in the morning, and you should see them running back to the coop when it's time to lay their eggs. Funniest thing!
    I didn't always let them out in the morning, though. I waited until they were laying in their boxes steadily, and it became a "habit". Once they realize that's where to lay their eggs, they will come back to lay there. If they see an egg in there already it's like "oh, there's a great place to lay my egg!"

My experience,
    Jen

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Use golf balls here.[​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well, I have rubber eggs, they are great as they can be washed and their size, weight etc. is such that my husband has been fooled and placed rubber eggs in egg boxes for eating! (Easier to fool????),

sandie

6. jason736

jason736 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Waterford
    My red sexlinks started laying at 16 weeks. We use wood eggs that we found at a craft store and they seem to help. I put them in a couple days before they started. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. gallinamama

gallinamama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Thank you all , this post really helped me too! Mine are almost 16 weeks, and I didn't know they could lay that early.[​IMG] I am not quite finished with the coop... I still need insulation, and the nesting boxes my son in law made me are wrong.. I have them in but they do not have tops on them.. I just have some woodshavings in them right now until he makes me some new ones... he is making them 15 x 15... but I have to get cracken now..... shoot if they begin laying now I am really messed up:barnie

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    My girls started laying one day and I was unprepared. I got them some nest boxes and some eggs that look so close in color to their eggs that I have to tap them on something to make sure that they're the fake ones. The girls will kick them out sometimes and put them in their makeshift nests.

9. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Only put in fake eggs if you don't mind being able to find your real eggs, really easily. I think it's more fun to hit an egg, that has been hiding in the tall grass, in 90 degree heat and has gone bad, with the lawn mower. You won't forget that fun time. Neither will your neighbors for blocks and blocks away. People you have never met will know your name.

It's almost like being famous, only without people always asking for autographs.

10. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I just found a pile of eggs back under the bushes where a long forgotten whiffle ball had landed. Apparently, it looked enough like a giant egg for my EE and she laid her green eggs all around it. Sheesh!

cutiepie960 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by