Should I put her down? (Resolved: She Died last night)

Sublight

Songster
7 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Pensacola, FL
Dont know what happened, she was fine earlier. She is definatly in pain, and it looks like she is about to push her insides out.
Is there anything i can do?

20200617_150150.jpg

Looks like she might have an egg stuck in there (egg bound) and she has a bit of a prolapse. Soak her bum in a warm epson salt bath. Epson salts are a muscle relaxer and can help her pass the egg if that's what it is. You should be able to feel around the vet and feel if it's an egg. If there is no egg, then it's a prolapse and you can push it back in. If you push it back in, keep her in a dark area with only daylight for 3-4 hours a day. This forces her body to slow egg production and gives her a chance to heal.

She is 5 years old and does not lay eggs anymore
Are you absolutely sure she doesn't lay? My four year old cochin still lays like 5-10 eggs a year. It really looks like a prolapse which is normally related to egg laying. I am not sure if constipation could cause it? I'm not extremely experienced in medical issues.

Are you absolutely sure she doesn't lay? My four year old cochin still lays like 5-10 eggs a year. It really looks like a prolapse which is normally related to egg laying. I am not sure if constipation could cause it? I'm not extremely experienced in medical issues.
not 100 percent t sure. I don't feel any eggs I. there how far do I stick my finger in. I felt around the outside and felt nothing

Sorry, posting from my phone sucks.
Posting from computer now.....,

She keeps trying to push it out when i try to gently ease it back in. Now there are little bubbles.

20200617_150659.jpg
20200617_153210.jpg

My guess is if you're saying she doesn't lay anymore, and you don't feel anything with your finger she *probably* doesn't have an egg in there.

Has she pooped? If not, my next guess is constipation.

Any way you'd be willing to take her to a vet for an xray? My third guess is reproductive or digestive infection or cancer. Even an inexperienced vet (in the way of fowl) should be able to see what is normal vs not normal.

Again, I'm NOT an expert, 90% of what I learn, I've learned from other people's experiences here, and this is what I'd be thinking if she were my hen.

@nchls school and especially @humblehillsfarm

Thank you both for the help.
We put her in a dog crate, under a blanket last night, after trying to help he prolapse go back in.
We woke up this morning and found her dead. From the time she had whatever issue she had, to the time she was discovered dead was 12 hours or so.

We hatched her out actually almost 6 years ago, and we kept her around even though she was not laying.
Thats the second chicken death this week. The first one just got sick then weak, then died.
Then we had a second that got sick, and recovered. So we almost lost 3, its been a crazy week here.

As always this place was incredibly helpful, and to both of you thank you. The most scary thing for me is not knowing what to do. So from the Sublight family, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom