Should I put her down? (Resolved: She Died last night)

@nchls school and especially @humblehillsfarm

Thank you both for the help.
We put her in a dog crate, under a blanket last night, after trying to help he prolapse go back in.
We woke up this morning and found her dead. From the time she had whatever issue she had, to the time she was discovered dead was 12 hours or so.

We hatched her out actually almost 6 years ago, and we kept her around even though she was not laying.
Thats the second chicken death this week. The first one just got sick then weak, then died.
Then we had a second that got sick, and recovered. So we almost lost 3, its been a crazy week here.

As always this place was incredibly helpful, and to both of you thank you. The most scary thing for me is not knowing what to do. So from the Sublight family, thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that. Six is a good age for a chicken, but you're so right. It's terrifying not knowing what to do. You really did your best. Just reaching out to other chicken keepers was more than many people would do. I think she probably had something more than a prolapse going on, because a prolapse in and of itself shouldn't lead to death so quickly, and at that age, they are at such a high risk for health issues, much like people are when we get old. She knows you did everything you could for her!

I’m so sorry for your loss :hugs
If you can do you think you could do a necropsy on her to see what happened? It sounds like it could be something that she had for awhile.
Nah, the 5 year old saw her and we put her in the ground in the backyard just like Hannah wanted. Right in the middle, in a "big patch of grass". It was very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom