Should I put incubator eggs under my broody hen?

scorrente

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
I have a broody silkie and 4 eggs that are progressing well in the incubator. She previously hatched a chick and was such a good momma. The chick immediately joined the flock and wasn't ever picked on by the other chickens. So I am wondering if I should put the eggs under my silkie or wait until they hatch and put my chicks under her!?!

welcome-byc.gif

She doesn't have any other eggs under her now? How long have the eggs been in the incubator? I'd certainly consider it, mostly because it is so much easier to integrate the babies into the flock.

If you are sure she is stuck to the nest, I would move them tonight!

I love a broody hen and chicks, and such a dynamic addition to the flock and chicken society. I love it. I have 4 that hatched in October, never been anywhere else but that coop/run.

I took the eggs from her because I had a young rooster that seemed too clumsy to fertilize an egg. I was curious if the eggs were fertile, so when I took them from her, I put 5 golf balls under her while I put them in the incubator for a week. Out of 7 eggs: 3 have good starts, one has a ring (not feeling good about that one) and 3 don't look like they're fertile.

So, I took your advise and exchanged the golf balls for the 4 eggs that might develop. She readjusted and sat contentedly! Hoping for chicks in a couple of weeks! :) Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:

Yay! She has hatched 2 chicks and adopted one. (I bought one and slipped it under her because it's been so cold that I was afraid none of them would hatch. She's been so dedicated, I just couldn't let her go chickless!) I love my little hen. She's such a good momma!

Back
Top Bottom