Should I put my rooster down?

:hugs:hugs You did the right thing. You gave him a chance, and that means a lot.

I have, in the past, tried to "help" sick and injured chickens and other animals. It seemed I ended up just prolonging their suffering. Why did I do it? I think to make myself feel better. Even if the animal could have had a full recovery a month or two later, I feel it's kinder to not put them through that. As an animal owner, I am responsible for their health, well being, and ultimately life or death decisions. It's hard, sometimes, but we do have to keep their best interest in mind.
Well said!

I commend you and I am sorry for what you had to go through. You did the right thing.

I know it feels really hard right now but it is part of responsible animal care. Remember that dying is not the only thing he ever did; you did give him a very good life and that is important. Try to focus on the good things. I remember reading a little sign that said, "Thanks for everything, I had a wonderful time". He had a great life and you gave him a very fair chance, but in the end, you did not let him suffer - instead of worrying about your hurt feelings, you cared about him more.

When my chicken died I was heart broken, it is seriously hard to lose a feathered friend.

My friend helped me out by saying: "what was the best time you remember with him, remember that forever"

With each day I remembered more good things then bad. Now it doesn't hurt as much to remember.

I am so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom