Should I put my rooster down?

Lamaremybabies

Crowing
Nov 2, 2015
New England
I wasn’t 100% sure where to post this so I’ll do it here..

I have a rooster who is two years old, he hasn’t been doing well at all this winter. It’s been really cold and he got too cold and was almost frozen. So I brought him in the house for a couple weeks, and he got a little better but I noticed he had/has been having difficulty using his legs. So I put him in the garage for a few days before putting him back outside, he seemed the same. So out he went. I put him in the coop in a large dog crate for a day, and the following day I let him out. Now all my hens pretty much ignored his presence, as well as my ducks, but, the second my goose saw him he pinned him in the corner of the coop and started biting his neck... I did already have a feeling my gander wouldn’t be happy to see him (they have quite the back story, and while my gander may sound like a huge jerk this all started because my rooster used to chase him and spur him and the ducks), but I honestly think if I let my rooster out with him he will be killed. I also noticed that his legs are worse and can barely stand(he doesn’t have any parasites I think it’s just his legs having been frozen). Anyways, my question is, with all that in mind, should I give him time to get stronger and get them to get along/re-home him, or just put him out of his misery?

Sorry if this wasn’t very well written

As stated above, you are the only one who can make that decision. It sounds like right now the only way he's safe is to be sequestered in a dog crate. What kind of a life is that for him? Chickens are flock animals, and enjoy being out to hunt, scratch, peck and do other chickeny things. If he were mine, I'd put him down.

Anyways, my question is, with all that in mind, should I give him time to get stronger and get them to get along/re-home him, or just put him out of his misery?
You could keep him inside and try to figure what's wrong with him, then try to re-introduce to the flock when it's warmer and he's better. Properly caring for sick birds long term is time consuming and mentally draining, so that's something to consider.

I would not try to re-home him because his leg problems and un-thriftiness could be disease related.

Euthanasia really might be the best choice for both you and the rooster. I know it's a hard decision to make, and only you can make it. FWIW, any time I have euthanized one I have never regretted it, and as horrible as this might sound to some, I have felt an immediate sense of relief after doing it.

As stated above, you are the only one who can make that decision. It sounds like right now the only way he's safe is to be sequestered in a dog crate. What kind of a life is that for him? Chickens are flock animals, and enjoy being out to hunt, scratch, peck and do other chickeny things. If he were mine, I'd put him down.

I completely agree. I’ve decided I’m going to put him down.

I completely agree. I’ve decided I’m going to put him down.
:hugsUsually if you even have to question if it is time, it usually is time. I had to make that decision for my favorite hen last month, but my husband put her down for me. If you haven’t done it before, perhaps there is someone that could do it for you?

@Lamaremybabies--I'm sorry this discussion got side-tracked, it only serves to minimize
your struggle. Euthanasia of a pet is never easy to consider, but when we give ourselves time to reflect, calmly, rationally, lovingly, I believe the Lord will lead us to the right decision. Whatever you do, know that we are here to support you, not judge you. You know your roo and your situation better than anyone here. Trust your loving "chicken-Mom" heart. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom