Should I put my rooster down?

I went out earlier and he wasn’t able to stand. I ended up putting him down.
I commend you for making such a difficult decision (sounds to me like it was the right one). It's one everyone will have to make if they own any type of animal long-term. One of the few downsides to owning animals, I'm afraid. But remember: life goes on and he's not in pain anymore. You've done your job.

It really is a difficult decision to make, but when it comes down to it, it's one you have to make yourself. Trust your experience with your birds. If there is no sign of improvement and the animal is suffering, if the animal living in its current state is doing more damage than the alternative, it is time to intervene. If he can't get around well, he does need to be separated for his own safety. He'll at least need to be agile and quick enough to get away from your gander (which shouldn't be incredibly hard for a healthy roo). If he grows strong enough, I would try to re-introduce before re-homing.

It really is a difficult decision to make, but when it comes down to it, it's one you have to make yourself. Trust your experience with your birds. If there is no sign of improvement and the animal is suffering, if the animal living in its current state is doing more damage than the alternative, it is time to intervene. If he can't get around well, he does need to be separated for his own safety. He'll at least need to be agile and quick enough to get away from your gander (which shouldn't be incredibly hard for a healthy roo). If he grows strong enough, I would try to re-introduce before re-homing.

Yes, thank you. I do have him separated in the large dog crate. I think I may spend some time with him tomorrow watching him. Honestly I think I should put him down. But I’ve never had to do it before, so I guess I’m a little nervous if I do it that I’ll have made the wrong decision.

I do see your point, but his quality of life is really just not there.
If you aren't sure on how to go about it, there are some articles (I believe) or at least some threads that discuss different options and how to go about each one. If you find one you're comfortable with but still have questions, ask.... Someone can walk you through it.
It's difficult emotionally, but you can do it. :hugs
Kudos to you for being a responsible chicken owner and considering what's best for him. :love

:hugs:hugs You did the right thing. You gave him a chance, and that means a lot.

I have, in the past, tried to "help" sick and injured chickens and other animals. It seemed I ended up just prolonging their suffering. Why did I do it? I think to make myself feel better. Even if the animal could have had a full recovery a month or two later, I feel it's kinder to not put them through that. As an animal owner, I am responsible for their health, well being, and ultimately life or death decisions. It's hard, sometimes, but we do have to keep their best interest in mind.

I commend you and I am sorry for what you had to go through. You did the right thing.

I know it feels really hard right now but it is part of responsible animal care. Remember that dying is not the only thing he ever did; you did give him a very good life and that is important. Try to focus on the good things. I remember reading a little sign that said, "Thanks for everything, I had a wonderful time". He had a great life and you gave him a very fair chance, but in the end, you did not let him suffer - instead of worrying about your hurt feelings, you cared about him more.

Chickens have a very strong recovery after illness and/or disease. I helped a neighbor nurse 5 hens that were fox attacked back to health, and let me tell you.....they were really ripped up. I'd have put them down, but the neighbor doesn't believe in killing a thing (bugs included) so we worked to rehabilitate them. Amazingly (to me) they all took time, but did well and were back in the main coop in a few weeks. Personally, I'd give him a few days, but there comes a time when being humane over rides false hope. I wish you well.

Back
Top Bottom