Should I put my young rooster in "horny jail"

_dizzy_

Chirping
May 5, 2022
So I have a young black Australorp rooster is just barely gotten his spurs in. He's so overly sexually active and very persistent on it. He's constantly force mounting hens when my old rooster is off somewhere else.
He's ripped feathers off a few of my hens backs and even injured two, making a huge half dollar gash on one of them.
When I say he's constantly force mounting I really do mean it. If he's not eating or drinking or taking a dust bath he's grabbing onto a hens neck and getting on her back while she screams. The only other time he's not doing this is when my old roo is around and alert. He's very respectful towards my old roo.
Today that hen with the huge gash got reintroduced to the flock and he was doing good around her. Not even an hour later her back was all torn up again.
I'm going to get one of those little mounting vests for the few girls that are missing feathers on their back, but the problem is also that he's slowly ripping the feathers off of all my girls.
I love him, he's a very very sweet rooster. He's just very very horny because he's in his teenage phase.

TLDR: young rooster forceable mounting hens and ripping feathers off hens and causing gashes. Respectful around older roo, but constantly forcing himself on the girls when he's not around.

This is my first time having a young rooster. Will he calm down soon? Is this a hormonal issue that might not go away? Is it because I have a third young roo that is two months old and he's feeling threatened by the fact that there's two other roos?

How it is this young rooster (cockerel if under 1 year) in question?

How old is your other (older) roo?

How many hens (and/or pullets do you have)?

What is your setup like? Size of coop/size of run?

Sometimes they need jail, sometimes they mature and get better/gentler, sometimes it’s a ratio issue, sometimes it’s a space issue, more information is needed.

How it is this young rooster (cockerel if under 1 year) in question?

How old is your other (older) roo?

How many hens (and/or pullets do you have)?

What is your setup like? Size of coop/size of run?

Sometimes they need jail, sometimes they mature and get better/gentler, sometimes it’s a ratio issue, sometimes it’s a space issue, more information is needed.
He's under a year old, 5 to 6 months.
9 hens 2 pullets
They have a 6x6 ft coop that I close up nightly and they free range all day, not locked in a run.

Both my younger roosters were supposed to be pullets. I plan on getting adult hens next year after winter, I just don't have the ability to take on more at the moment. I'll be rehoming the youngest rooster(unfortunately probably to someone's oven because he's already showed some signs of human aggression at 2 months old) because I don't think I can handle 30 hens, but I believe 20 hens and 2 roosters will be manageable.

Get rid of both the younger males.

More females will not necessarily solve an overbreeding issue.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Get rid of both the younger males.

More females will not necessarily solve an overbreeding issue.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

You don't think he'll calm down as he gets older? I love my cockerel to pieces. He's so nice and loves to be held and carried around.
And I'll most likely get rid of the youngest

You don't think he'll calm down as he gets older? I love my cockerel to pieces. He's so nice and loves to be held and carried around.
And I'll most likely get rid of the youngest
He might.
He might calm down if you get rid of the other 2 males.
IMO, 1 male is plenty....multiple males will almost always be a problem.

I agree with Aart. The myth that hen to rooster ratio has anything to do with roosters or cockerels fighting or over-mating hens or pullets is just that, a myth. It's based on hatcheries that are in the business of hatching fertile eggs have found that certain ratios of hens to roosters produce nearly 100% fertile eggs when they use the same management techniques that the hatcheries use. We don't use those techniques. The hatcheries also monitor fertility and adjust those ratios as needed on a case by case basis so they don't blindly follow those ratios. Getting more girls doesn't solve the problem, it increases problems because now you have chickens to integrate. You can use this to justify getting more hens if you want to, but it is just an excuse, not a real reason.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. That's where you are, not a need but a choice. So let's work with that.

Will he calm down when he gets older? He might, many of them do. He also might not. Right now your girls are in danger. You've witnessed that. If you are going to keep him, lock him up where he can't injure them. I'd have a pen and coop where he can see and be seen by the rest of the flock to try to reduce reintegration issues. I'd keep him in there for at least a month before I let him out to see what happens. You may need to do this for several more months to give him a chance to grow up.

When you let him out different things might happen. He may have grown up and life is good. He may still be the same destructive dangerous self and continue to injure the hens. He might still run away from the older rooster. It's quite possible he will fight with your older rooster for dominance. These fights can be a fight to the death (either may die), either one could be severely injured, or they may reach an accommodation on how to live together with the girls. I have no idea what will actually happen with yours.

I agree with Aart. The myth that hen to rooster ratio has anything to do with roosters or cockerels fighting or over-mating hens or pullets is just that, a myth. It's based on hatcheries that are in the business of hatching fertile eggs have found that certain ratios of hens to roosters produce nearly 100% fertile eggs when they use the same management techniques that the hatcheries use. We don't use those techniques. The hatcheries also monitor fertility and adjust those ratios as needed on a case by case basis so they don't blindly follow those ratios. Getting more girls doesn't solve the problem, it increases problems because now you have chickens to integrate. You can use this to justify getting more hens if you want to, but it is just an excuse, not a real reason.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. That's where you are, not a need but a choice. So let's work with that.

Will he calm down when he gets older? He might, many of them do. He also might not. Right now your girls are in danger. You've witnessed that. If you are going to keep him, lock him up where he can't injure them. I'd have a pen and coop where he can see and be seen by the rest of the flock to try to reduce reintegration issues. I'd keep him in there for at least a month before I let him out to see what happens. You may need to do this for several more months to give him a chance to grow up.

When you let him out different things might happen. He may have grown up and life is good. He may still be the same destructive dangerous self and continue to injure the hens. He might still run away from the older rooster. It's quite possible he will fight with your older rooster for dominance. These fights can be a fight to the death (either may die), either one could be severely injured, or they may reach an accommodation on how to live together with the girls. I have no idea what will actually happen with yours.

Thank you so much for all this info. The older rooster comes first and I'll most likely get rid of the youngest. I'm going to keep him in my hospital coop for a few months, it's located where the other chickens like to hang out for most of the day.
I've read about rooster dominance and how to identify if it's going to work or not. I guess for now I'm just going to hope it works out in a few months

Just like any teenager, he has a lot to learn. He is driven by his new found hobby. And has yet to learn how to be a true rooster. I disagree greatly with the previous posters claim that the ONLY reason to have a rooster is to fertilize eggs. Roosters do a lot for a flock. More than simply fertilize eggs. Yes, the 1:10 ratio is mostly based on breeding. But, there are other reasons why this is a sweet spot for a flock. Because, a rooster does more than just breed! He also keeps harmony in the flock, seeks out food, especially for free ranging flocks, and, stands guard. Keeping watch for predators. I have had chickens my whole life. My entire family on my dad's side, all have chickens.

I have had a lot of experience with them. You can get a "bad" rooster. The fact that he has already injured one, gives me pause for concern. But, if he seems gentle to you, maybe he simply has some sharp claws. I would separate him for a month or so. Give him time to mature. But if he and your oldest, established, rooster are getting along, I would not remove him entirely. If you do, upon reintroduction, you will have a fight on your hands. The two roosters, is my main concern for you. I have had two roos many times. But they were always raised together. I have never had success in introducing a younger roo to an established older roo. It has always come to terrible fighting. If you are going to keep two roos, then you need to have plenty of hens for both of them. It becomes an issue of keeping both roos occupied. Give them so many hens to care for, that they have nothing to fight over. I have not had that situation before. When I have tried to introduce a younger roo, I always had like 10-12 hens. I never was successful in adding a second roo. When raised together, they got along. But never introducing one. Roosters fight over hens and food. So, if you have so many hens, that your established roo feels he can't care for them all, he will be more likely to allow for a second in command. It is fascinating to watch two roos work together, caring for a flock. My favorite flocks were the ones with two roos. So please disregard the comments that believe roosters are only good for one thing. That is simply false. And please know, that if you are going to keep two roos, you definitely need more hens to occupy two roos. And not because of the breeding aspect. But because of all the rooster duties! You can have one roo and twenty hens, and still end up with a hen that is over bred. Because they tend to have their favorite hen. And she will get more attention than the rest. No, you need more hens so that your established roo feels like he needs help caring for the flock. So he will accept a second roo. And, for me, this is most important. If the younger roo does not learn to dance for his hens, then I would cull him. Just like broodiness has been nearly bred out of chickens, there seems to be more and more roos who no longer do the mating dance. If he doesn't begin dancing for his ladies, and respecting their response, then I would do away with him. It will cause your hens so much stress. Never knowing when he will just grab them. But, if he seems gentle to you, I suspect, in time, with maturity, he will learn. Good lucj.

Back
Top Bottom