Should I Put The Chicks Outside? Yes? No?

floral_chickadee

Chirping
Mar 15, 2021
North Carolina
I currently have 6, nearly 5 weeks old, chicks and I’m debating with myself wether or not to let them spend the night in the coop.

The past couple days I’ve been bringing them outside for little “field trips” and they’ve been doing great. I’m starting to think they should spend the night soon, but I’m worried because the night time lows are about 40°F (with the day time highs being 70°F). Is that too cold for them? Is there anything I can put in there with them to keep them warm? I don’t have any electricity in the coop.

Last edited:
Mine are off heat and in the coop at 4 weeks, down in mid-40s, but they're also raised outside so they're well acclimated to the temperatures.

Are your chicks completely off heat? Have you let them go outside on cooler days? If so, pick an upcoming day with a favorable forecast and just move 'em out.

I currently have 17 chicks that are all 3 weeks outside in an aluminum shed converted into a coop. They have a heat lamp hanging, but the rest of the shed is all theirs. They barely spend any time under the heat lamp (except at night - it is still getting to the high 30s (Fahrenheit) to 40s at night). I also put some sideways buckets in there filled with shavings so they have a small enclosure to go into (it’s next to the heat lamp but not underneath it so it doesn’t melt). They are perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom