1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should I put them in the refrigerator?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bamachicks8, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so I have decided not to wash my eggs until use but should I immediately refrigerate them or leave them out and about how long do they last this way and I would like to wash the ones I'm giving away should I tell people to refrigerate those or leave them out and how long should those last

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I put my eggs im. in the ref., just because it seems more better for me. But my grandpa, who is a chef, says you can leave eggs out for a little while and they are still good, but no more than a few hours. I would tell people to jus ref the eggs like theyre normal eggs you buy from the store

3. DeepFriedBacon

DeepFriedBacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I got a couple egg questions myself.
    In the summer months, it's can get 90 degress, 100% humidity. I'm up and out the door to work early usually before 6am, and usually work till 5-6 pm. Will the eggs be good still, after being outside for 8 maybe more hrs? I always see them just on the counter @ the feed store, I'm just worried they will lay as I'm driving away, and they might spoil by the time I get home...

4. mrlunchbx

mrlunchbx New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    Brattleboro, VT
    I also have an egg question... We do refrigerate our eggs but we don't wash our eggs. Should we??? If so does that change how long they last?

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
  6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    The eggs will be fine. A hen will sometimes take 2 weeks gathering her clutch before she sits on them...and they are all fine...We put them in the refrigerator first thing unless we are going to try to hatch them...then we put them in the coldest room until we have are ready to use them...

7. DeepFriedBacon

DeepFriedBacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Cool article, fantastic info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by